Brake Pads

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

falcondrgn

Brake Pads

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi,

Where is the cheapest place I can get OEM brake pads for my 05 pathfinder? Is Courtesynissan.com the cheapest place? and are the brake pads for the 2006 and 2005 the same? Thanks

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:17 pm

I can't answer your question but i just got some pads from the parts store and they work just fine.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:20 pm

GOTGOO wrote:I can't answer your question but i just got some pads from the parts store and they work just fine.

Well i wanted to go with oem pads bc cheaper pads can damage the rotors, I only have 10% left and only 23k miles on my 05 path but live in stop and go traffic so time to change them but I dont want the stealership to rip me a nice one with their prices.

Does anyone know if Akebono brand brake pads is the same as OEM ones?

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:03 pm

you really want to go cheap on brakes? why isnt it the most important part? The pathfinder isnt exactly light.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:06 pm

me&pathy wrote:you really want to go cheap on brakes? why isnt it the most important part? The pathfinder isnt exactly light.

Im not going cheap on brakes, im getting OEM pads, and oem isnt exactly cheap....i just refuse to let the dealership do the work since they are asking for $250 just to replace the front pads.

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:13 pm

For every nissan and infiniti I have owned, I have always used Akebono ceramic pads whenever I replace. I have been extremely pleased with them. great performance, minimal dust. I have tried Autozone duralast in the past, and they squeaked like crazy from the begining, not the case with the Akebonos.

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 pm

kev1n wrote:For every nissan and infiniti I have owned, I have always used Akebono ceramic pads whenever I replace. I have been extremely pleased with them. great performance, minimal dust. I have tried Autozone duralast in the past, and they squeaked like crazy from the begining, not the case with the Akebonos.

Thanks Kev1n for sharing that bit of info, the reason i'm asking about Akebono's is bc i read on nissanforums that said they are the same as oem pads, is that true?

kev1n

Postby kev1n » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:59 pm

falcondrgn wrote:
kev1n wrote:For every nissan and infiniti I have owned, I have always used Akebono ceramic pads whenever I replace. I have been extremely pleased with them. great performance, minimal dust. I have tried Autozone duralast in the past, and they squeaked like crazy from the begining, not the case with the Akebonos.

Thanks Kev1n for sharing that bit of info, the reason i'm asking about Akebono's is bc i read on nissanforums that said they are the same as oem pads, is that true?
From what I understand, they also make OEM pads for Nissan so they are essentially from the same company. I think a full set for our PAthy's is about $120 from autopartswarehouse.com free shipping also

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:07 pm

falcondrgn wrote:
GOTGOO wrote:I can't answer your question but i just got some pads from the parts store and they work just fine.

Well i wanted to go with oem pads bc cheaper pads can damage the rotors, I only have 10% left and only 23k miles on my 05 path but live in stop and go traffic so time to change them but I dont want the stealership to rip me a nice one with their prices.

Does anyone know if Akebono brand brake pads is the same as OEM ones?
Ok well i replaced my rotors also. I have 72k on my 05 and i just bought the best stock replacement ones that O'reilly's had with a lifetime warranty.

xd9-g19

Postby xd9-g19 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 am

I would definately go with EBC brake pads. Just throwing it out there.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:02 pm

xd9-g19 wrote:I would definately go with EBC brake pads. Just throwing it out there.
how easy is it to swap all pads on the 05+ Pathfinders?

dbetterred

Postby dbetterred » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 pm

EBC green stuff pads. No doubt.
Changing the pads is easy, Pull tires, two bolts to remove caliper, push piston back in (I use a c-clamp), pull old pads off, slide new pads back in (transfer shims off old pads if new pads didn't come with them), reinstall caliper with same two bolts, reinstall tires and drive gently to seat the new pads and bingo! done.

This is if your rotors are still decent. Mine were, I did front brakes at about 55,000 miles and just did rears at 61,000 miles.

The EBC Greenstuff pads are nice, once seated and broken in, you have a much better feel with less fade and shorter stopping distances.

I pull my boat at about 4700 lbs with no trailer brakes so my pathy brakes MUST be in good shape.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:25 pm

I just did the Akebono PRO ACT pads on mine ....way better than OE ...

Also remember that the "OE" pads you buy at the dealer may not be the same pads that came on it from the factory !! I am not a fan of OE pads at all .... Have had awesome luck with the Akebono's and the Hawks ( to bad Hawk doesn't have them out for us yet ! )

falcondrgn

Postby falcondrgn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:06 pm

SHAWNATGERBROCK wrote:I just did the Akebono PRO ACT pads on mine ....way better than OE ...

Also remember that the "OE" pads you buy at the dealer may not be the same pads that came on it from the factory !! I am not a fan of OE pads at all .... Have had awesome luck with the Akebono's and the Hawks ( to bad Hawk doesn't have them out for us yet ! )

Why would dealer pads not be the same ones from the factory? They use cheaper ones from the factory or vice versa?

rlh2005

Postby rlh2005 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:45 am

falcondrgn wrote:Why would dealer pads not be the same ones from the factory? They use cheaper ones from the factory or vice versa?
Supplier change, possibly using thinner pad to get you back to the dealer for brake job sooner,

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”