custom exhaust

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bender031

custom exhaust

Postby bender031 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:58 am

I have seen the pictures of the stock exhaust, we know the Y-pipe is 1 major restriction and the other is the crimp over the rear cross-member.

in an effort to piece together a custom exhaust i have broken it into stages. I do not want a loud buzzy system, what i do want is to free up the flow and add a deep tone.

i got a quote today on the following: eliminate the stock Y-pipe, go with 2 1/4" pipe from the cats to a dual inlet hi flow muffler, and hook into the existing tail pipe/resonators. by doing this i get rid of the Y-pipe restrictions and add a high flow muffler. once i see/hear the difference, i could later have the tail pipe section replaced as well to free up those restrictions.

does anyone have any comments on the dual inlet setup vs the y-pipe setup? any +/-s? i was quoted at $270 for the new plumbing and hi-flow exhaust (can't recall the brand at the moment)

thanks

mtbpath

Postby mtbpath » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 pm

sounds like a good idea.
I myself was thinking going custom also. add a new muffler with perhaps 2.5" piping to the back.
I actually want dual tips.
like what you see on a Cadilac, Infiniti, the high end suv,etc.
think about it, 2 tips coming out the rear. get a muffler that has dual outlets.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:42 pm

I like your style, i don't think i am going to go dual out, it would look cool but i think the performance and sound would suffer.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:56 pm

A properly made Y merge pipe should be cheaper than a whole new muffler, and possibly provide a performance benefit (A properly made Y allows the exhaust pulses to help each other along).

What I've been pondering is rebuilding the Y pipe, and then removing that puny tail muffler completely and redoing the tip, but leaving the primary muffler intact.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:42 am

actually the more i thought about it, that is what i was thinking too, replace the Y-pipe and tail pipe and leave the stock exhaust...that would eliminate that kink over the rear axle too...i am just curious what the sound will be if we remove that resonator...hope it doesnt get buzzy....

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”