Winter tire recommendations

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

vatrumpet

Winter tire recommendations

Postby vatrumpet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:49 am

Hello all,

I have just recently moved to Virginia from Texas and really need to upgrade my tires. I have a 2WD 05 SE and it has the stock General Grabber AW's on it. We just had our first snow last weekend and those tires are just lousy. I've heard good things about the Michelin LTX and Goodyear Duratracs. Anyone have any ideas?

Thx.

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:45 am

Any all-terrain or all-season will do really.

In VA, I run Firestone Destination LEs on my Silverado. I never use 4wd in the light snow we get in VA.

Slow and smart in the snow is how to go. When you get the occasional ice storm there, forget it.

Npath

Re: Winter tire recommendations

Postby Npath » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:25 pm

BF Goodrich AT's was my initial choice, but after hearing and seeing the Duratrac's, BF's are my second choice now.

Price will also play a factor as Goodyear seems more expensive.

bigmankz

Postby bigmankz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:29 am

I am on Nokian Hakkapelitta SUV Studded now. best winter tires there are! On my R50 I drove on Good Year Ultra Grip 500 studded. Also very good tires but 30% of studs fell off when I used these tires for the second winter. Not the case with Nokian though. BFG ATs are ok in snow but extremely poor on ice and packed snow. My all season Yoko Geolandar AT G012 proved to be very good in deep snow and on ice and packed snow (for all season tire). all info is based on my own experience.

guinnessjim

Postby guinnessjim » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:02 am

pretty certain the above mentioned Yoko Geolandar AT G012 is called the A/T-S in the states (tread pattern looks the same). i also use these and have nothing but positives to say about them (the mts around vegas get snow, so i have used them in those conditions)

vatrumpet

Postby vatrumpet » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:33 pm

I'll definitely check out the Yokohamas now. Any thoughts on the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred? When I compare them against the DuraTrac on tire rack and discount tire, they seem to get higher ratings for wet weather/winter conditions.

SPICOLI

Postby SPICOLI » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:56 pm

I spent two winters riding on BFG A/T's. Great in snow, but lousy on ice. Last Christmas, I drove from Vancouver to Anaheim during the snow storms on Toyo Open Country A/T's and found them to be pleasently good in the snow and ice. Currently my PF is riding on the stock BFG Long Trails and I must say that they're terrible on ice when they're worn down a bit.

Junior

Postby Junior » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:08 pm

The stock Grabbers are just plain lousy in anything wet,damp or moist.
Traction was lousy when there was a heavy dew on the ground.

I just put on a new set of Dunlop Rover RVXT's before the snow fell a couple weeks back and I have to say that they hold their own in the snow and slush, but not the greatest in icy conditions.
We had a good dump of @ 10inches last week and had no problems. Even my wife commented on how well the new Pathy handled in the snow (and that never happens).
They're classed as a on/off-road mud/snow tire here in Canada.

I also agree with bigmankz's recommendation if you want a true snow tire. I had a set of Nokian Hakka's on my Montana minivan and those tires held true in any condition. Pricey, but well worth it.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”