2010 Model Year Reacall

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

kodeman86

2010 Model Year Reacall

Postby kodeman86 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Has anyone else received a recall notice for their 2010. We have only had ours 2 1/2 weeks, and had to take it in on Saturday. It seems the dealer cant figure out how to fix it, and are having troubles working with Nissan Tech Support to get answers. They are now telling me it could be a week or more before we get it back.

According to the Recall Notice the issue is:

The fasteners securing the passenger front air bag and the steering shaft positioning may not have been tightened correctly.

I am just wondering if anyone else received the recall notice, and if anyone is having as many problems getting it fixed as I am. The dealer originally told me it would be a 15 minute fix. This was last Saturday.

scarelli

Postby scarelli » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:54 pm

I didn't get a recall letter for my 2010. I think that recall is for 2010's built after 02-12-10 or something like that...

I hope they at least gave you a rental...

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 pm

If your not already in one, I'd ask for a free loaner.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: 2010 Model Year Reacall

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:21 pm

kodeman86 wrote:It seems the dealer cant figure out how to fix it, and are having troubles working with Nissan Tech Support to get answers. They are now telling me it could be a week or more before we get it back.

The dealer originally told me it would be a 15 minute fix.
Have you spoken directly to a service manager to find out specifically what the problem is?
"having troubles working with Nissan Tech Support" regarding a recall campaign procedure sounds rather "fishy." :roll:
BTW: welcome! :)

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:55 pm

There's a lot to be carefull about when working with the air bags. They may be trying to determine if they are going to simply "tighten" the loose retainers or replace the components. They would be liable if they do it wrong and the system were to fail.

In the Collision industry we repalace a lot of Air bag related parts and seat belts that are "fine" but require mandatory replacement after a collision.

I would definitely ask some questions.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:19 pm

pawjr74 wrote:They may be trying to determine if they are going to simply "tighten" the loose retainers or replace the components.
those decisions are made well in advance of the implementation of a recall campaign.
this sounds like a lack of communication issue somewhere.
manufacturers (especially vehicle) are usually very responsive to any recall campaign confusion, and quick to resolve it with the servicing dealers.

pawjr74 wrote:I would definitely ask some questions.
most definitely!

Tech

Postby Tech » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:39 pm

not sure what the prob is - the procedure is quite clear....basically checking torque specs. You may also be in for the drive shaft check. Requires a tool they should've had for months if not years now. (another recall)

cbacarisse

Postby cbacarisse » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:33 pm

I bought mine in December and have not heard of the recall.

kodeman86

Postby kodeman86 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks for the info! I got a little bit more guidence last night. They said they needed to order a new bracket for the stearing column, which will take 48 hours to get it. Apparently they also had problems with one of the four fasteners on the airbag, so they also had to order a new fastener for that. I did talk to the service manager, and he appologized for the delay, and explained this is the first time they have had someone come in for this reacall, and they are going in "blind".

They did give me a loner. After driving a stripped down, bare bones, Nissan Versa.....I have more love for my Pathfinder than ever before :D

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:24 am

Tech wrote:You may also be in for the drive shaft check. Requires a tool they should've had for months if not years now. (another recall)
is there a drive shaft bulletin for the r51s?

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:07 am

I just got a recall letter on the fuel sending unit, just gotta find time to go in and get it replaced.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:11 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:is there a drive shaft bulletin for the r51s?
bulletin #NTB10-021

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:13 am

kodeman86 wrote:Thanks for the info! I got a little bit more guidence last night. They said they needed to order a new bracket for the stearing column, which will take 48 hours to get it. Apparently they also had problems with one of the four fasteners on the airbag, so they also had to order a new fastener for that. I did talk to the service manager, and he appologized for the delay, and explained this is the first time they have had someone come in for this reacall, and they are going in "blind".

They did give me a loner. After driving a stripped down, bare bones, Nissan Versa.....I have more love for my Pathfinder than ever before :D
Communication works! :D

kodeman86

Postby kodeman86 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Just an update. I called the dealer today to check on the status. They said that they found damage on the stearing column from the over tightened bolts. They need to replace the entire stearing column. Said it is on order, but could be a week or more.

Co-workers are saying I should ask the dealer for a guarentee once I get the PF back, that there will be no side effects from having the entire dash dismantled, and re-assembled. They also said I should ask for free maintenence for a year or two, due to the frustration of dealing with this. Any opinions? Keep in mind, we have only had the PF 3 weeks, and it looks like they will have it at least for two weeks.

deezx5

Postby deezx5 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:38 pm

How many miles did you put on it? I would want a brand new vehicle or a bunch of free stuff after only 2.5 weeks. Make a few phone calls to the dealer and then Nissan corporate if you don't get anywhere and be persistent.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”