Rear differential fluid? What other fluids need replacing?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Wed May 12, 2010 5:41 pm

I went to Royal Purple MaxGear at 30k. Whereas the factory fill looked nasty at 30k, the Royal Purple looked great when I changed it again at 60k. I'll probably let it go to over 100 before I change it again.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Tech wrote:generally speaking the off road ones have a finned aluminum diff cover and are the m226 that take the 75-12X syn. If you call your parts dept with the VIN, they can tell you for certain.
Okay, now I'm :?............
On page MA-11 in the service manual, API GL-5 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Oil is specified for the rear final drive.
It makes no mention of any other rear final drive oil, or any different rear final drive assembly.
Doesn't this mean that all final drives are the same, (at least as far as the V-6 models) and use the same gear oil?
Do some of the later year models (after 2005, which is the year of our service manual edition) have different final drives, and the manual hasn't been updated to mention them?

Tech

Postby Tech » Wed May 12, 2010 6:44 pm

hmmm.....interesting.....we'll if that's what it says in the "recommended fluid and lubricants" section, go with that. That's what most are anyway. I'm sure the m226 diffs takes 75/140 or something. Xterra, Titan and Armada too (maybe not R51's?).....go with whatever your ESM recommends for your truck. But you can always call your local parts dept and ask them to check by VIN (which tells them the axle). (it might also be the ones with diff lock....i'll confirm in the AM)

Fossilfuleburner

Postby Fossilfuleburner » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 pm

How about brake fluid? Ideally it should be replaced every 2 years but should be able to go 3-4 years.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed May 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Fossilfuleburner wrote:How about brake fluid? Ideally it should be replaced every 2 years but should be able to go 3-4 years.
probably depends on the overall humidity of the environment........
odd that there is no recommended interval for brake fluid change in the periodic maintenance schedule in the service manual.
none for power steering fluid either...........

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu May 13, 2010 6:17 pm

dryart wrote:
Tech wrote:generally speaking the off road ones have a finned aluminum diff cover and are the m226 that take the 75-12X syn. If you call your parts dept with the VIN, they can tell you for certain.
On page MA-11 in the service manual, API GL-5 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Oil is specified for the rear final drive.
It makes no mention of any other rear final drive oil, or any different rear final drive assembly.
Doesn't this mean that all final drives are the same, (at least as far as the V-6 models) and use the same gear oil?
Do some of the later year models (after 2005, which is the year of our service manual edition) have different final drives, and the manual hasn't been updated to mention them?
I just recieved the repair manual on DVD, the thicker oil for the rear axle is only if you Tow..like a boat, trailer, etc.. also the rear axle capacity is 3 pints, front final drive is 1 3/4 pint, using regular 80-90wt gear oil GL-5.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu May 13, 2010 7:39 pm

KEVSTER wrote:
dryart wrote:
I just recieved the repair manual on DVD, the thicker oil for the rear axle is only if you Tow..like a boat, trailer, etc.. also the rear axle capacity is 3 pints, front final drive is 1 3/4 pint, using regular 80-90wt gear oil GL-5.
Still :?.......
Odd that none of this (thicker oil option) is mentioned in the service manual (page MA-11/fluids & lubricants) in the Nissan Path Sticky: :shock:
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2
Is your DVD(?) repair manual an OEM Nissan Publication?
What oil, specifically, do they recommend as an option (for towing)?
Sure would appreciate clarification on this important bit of information.........
Thanks!

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Sat May 15, 2010 1:32 pm

Ok, so I went back and looked, and I can't find it, so I kept looking, and I have no idea where I got the thicker oil for towing, so according to Nissan 75-90wt oil is to be used in the rear axle., I also believe that if 75-140wt is used it would do no harm. but if the State in which you reside in gets very cold in winters than I would not use the thicker. Sorry for the confusion. :wink:

ocdjg

Postby ocdjg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 am

So I finally got to replacing the rear differential fluid this past weekend...Easier than I thought, but man what an awkward angle to pour that fluid in. Anyhow I know this is going to sound dumb but if I have a 2X4 would I only have a rear differential or would I still have a front differential too? I was under there trying to find it but I didn't see anything. Can anyone chime in and help? Thanks.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:13 am

ocdjg wrote:So I finally got to replacing the rear differential fluid this past weekend...Easier than I thought, but man what an awkward angle to pour that fluid in. Anyhow I know this is going to sound dumb but if I have a 2X4 would I only have a rear differential or would I still have a front differential too? I was under there trying to find it but I didn't see anything. Can anyone chime in and help? Thanks.
it's easier if you slip a length of clear vinyl tubing onto the nozzle of the gear oil bottle.
2WD has rear diff only. :wink:

Shinyboy

Postby Shinyboy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:15 am

No drive compnents up front on a 2wd. :wink:

ocdjg

Postby ocdjg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:28 am

Sweet! Then I'm done, thanks guys.

Budrbean

Postby Budrbean » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:17 pm

ocdjg wrote:So I finally got to replacing the rear differential fluid this past weekend...Easier than I thought, but man what an awkward angle to pour that fluid in. Anyhow I know this is going to sound dumb but if I have a 2X4 would I only have a rear differential or would I still have a front differential too? I was under there trying to find it but I didn't see anything. Can anyone chime in and help? Thanks.
Next time around pick up a foot of 3/8 hose at the parts store for like a dollar. Slip it over the top of the bottle and voila!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”