MagnaFlow exhaust-custom system

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Hey bbermann,

What is up with your rear hatch handle? Where did you find a chrome handle plate that says "Pathfinder" on it? Or is that custom?

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Yeah, ditch that stupid Y-pipe, Nice. :D

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm

I have always enjoyed debadging my vehicles but I did go a bit backwards on this one and I picked up one of the OEM roof rack stickers and put on the back.

My wife has a motto for me; " if it ani't broke, I can fix it"

asgard

Postby asgard » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:14 pm

I have been searching the Magnaflow web site and cannot find the Pathfinder listed. Am I looking in the wrong place or is your setup custom.

Could you give part numbers for the system, and , am I correct in thinking you installed the back Nissan box and trimmed it out with a tip.

I do long haul trips and would get very tired of a drone.

Just want something giving better performance and stainless to cope with the road salt.

Installation looks clean.

kelleyo

Postby kelleyo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 am

It is custom. I am considering the same setup but I would also add a Magnaflow resonator to quiet the drone...

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Part number for the Magnaflow muffler I used is 14580. It has a 2.5 inch diameter outlet, and 2- 2 1/4 inch inlets.
A buddy of mine that is the Manager at a Meineke Muffler did the pipe work.

jerry6

Postby jerry6 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:22 pm

Hayn45 wrote:
mtbpath wrote:Overall I am very pleased. Its only been 2 days.
well, my observations about the Magnaflow exhaust system.
the muffler is 2 inlet and 1 outlet.
as you can see from the pictures, the 2 piping into the 2 outlet is a lot better compared to stock. No restrictions to flow.
muffler is 22" long. 2.25 dual inlet/2.5 outout. 5x11 oval. satin stainless universal muffler.
I had a chrome tip installed. its a 3" tip. The only stock pipe I left on is the piece before the tip. Either the muffler guys are too lazy or its really difficult to make one.
between 1500-2500 rpm it has a nice low deep sound. sounds like it has a V8.
at freeway speed, its not noticable at all. cruising at 65-80 mph, there is no humming inside or annoying sound. you can actually carry on a conversation without the muffler drowning you out. of course you still hear the muffler as you rev up but not to the point that its too loud.
with the stock pipe you got a lot of resticted flow and when you floored it you hear a lot of engine sound. but with the new piping, when you gun it you hear it in the back not up front.
more comments to follow later this week...
I have a Borla set up on my Pathy, Cat back with headers, dual out. I did the cat back first and noticed the same thing as far as engine noise went. Diminished engine noise, more or less relocating the engine growl to the back end of the truck. There was a slight improvement in MPG. When I unplugged the battery it was getting about 13.1 MPG. (I take my Pathy offroad a bit and I'm not a granny driver by any account.) After the Cat back it improved to 13.9 within it's first 300 miles. Keep in mind that was with the wife driving to and from work and I hadn't really taken the truck offroad during that time. It maxed out at about 14. After I did the headers I've been around 14.9 to 15.1 MPG regularly. Take what you will from that, it's not a bad investment.

Horsepower tests have concluded that my Pathy improved by 14.5 hp coming in just shy of 285 horses. With the K&N intake she's pushing 300 hp. That was running just conventional oil too. I felt that the trucks weakness was the low end when I first got it. Now it's noticably better. After I got everything I had the honor of being "called out" by a Dodge Ram Hemi on the way home right after I had my headers done. Didn't take much for me to acknowlede the challenge. Needless to say, he got a pretty good look at my dual out set up for as long as he could actually see me that was. :twisted:

To say that the truck sounds like a V-8 would be an insult. It has it's own unique growl that's for sure, but it doesn't sound anything like a V-8 in my opinion. If you want an idea of how your Pathy would sound with a Borla system on it you can visit this website:

http://www.borla.com/

Keep in mind it does sound better in person, but it's close.

Oh, one more thing. I'd advise against Spintech anything. It's loud and can get annoying. It's also been known to drop your gas mileage quite a bit. I had several friends go from Spintech, because they wanted the noise and it was cheaper, to Flowmasters or Borla not too long after because of the noise considerations and drop in gas mileage. Ultimately, your rig your call. :)
Where did you get the Borla system for the pathfidner ?? Can't find it , and with dual exhaust ?? Please let me know where to buy this

Cooper993

Postby Cooper993 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 am

I recently had the Magnaflow installed as the OP.

The difference on my PF is that the rear resonator was basically a mid-sized muffler so I decided to have it removed as well.

When I went to pick it up, I wasn't too happy with the "raspy" tone of the exhaust. I was looking for something more mellow.

The exhaust shop told me to try it out for a while until the muffler "broke in" and if I didn't like it, then I should install a resonated tip.

I've driven the truck for about 800 miles now and although the sounds has improved, it's still too raspy.

As an experiment, I bought a cheap ($25) clamp on resonated tip and slipped it on.

Worked perfectly. You still hear the rumble of the exhaust, but it is not annoying. I'll keep the cheap tip on there now since it looks OK and when it dies I'll replace it with a welded version.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed May 18, 2011 2:22 pm

I need an exhaust for my V8.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 am

Great thread, lots of info. It seems like no one is using the largest exhaust manufacturer around, Flowmaster. Has anyone tried any Flowmaster products?

Also to those owners with headers, where did you get them, are they completely custom?

syndicatex

Postby syndicatex » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:03 am

I had a flowmaster on my old xterra. It was okay. reading over the years on forums, I've found a lot of people saying flowmaster has a lot of internal rusting issues in states that have snow and salt. The road salt somehow sucks back into the exhaust at shut down and eats the muffler inside out vs. other exhaust mufflers that have better material. I converted completely to magnaflow on all my vehicles now. But to everyone their own.

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

No kidding. I I guess their systems are not ALL stainless.

sunpro2010

Postby sunpro2010 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Hayn45 wrote:
mtbpath wrote:Overall I am very pleased. Its only been 2 days.
well, my observations about the Magnaflow exhaust system.
the muffler is 2 inlet and 1 outlet.
as you can see from the pictures, the 2 piping into the 2 outlet is a lot better compared to stock. No restrictions to flow.
muffler is 22" long. 2.25 dual inlet/2.5 outout. 5x11 oval. satin stainless universal muffler.
I had a chrome tip installed. its a 3" tip. The only stock pipe I left on is the piece before the tip. Either the muffler guys are too lazy or its really difficult to make one.
between 1500-2500 rpm it has a nice low deep sound. sounds like it has a V8.
at freeway speed, its not noticable at all. cruising at 65-80 mph, there is no humming inside or annoying sound. you can actually carry on a conversation without the muffler drowning you out. of course you still hear the muffler as you rev up but not to the point that its too loud.
with the stock pipe you got a lot of resticted flow and when you floored it you hear a lot of engine sound. but with the new piping, when you gun it you hear it in the back not up front.
more comments to follow later this week...
I have a Borla set up on my Pathy, Cat back with headers, dual out. I did the cat back first and noticed the same thing as far as engine noise went. Diminished engine noise, more or less relocating the engine growl to the back end of the truck. There was a slight improvement in MPG. When I unplugged the battery it was getting about 13.1 MPG. (I take my Pathy offroad a bit and I'm not a granny driver by any account.) After the Cat back it improved to 13.9 within it's first 300 miles. Keep in mind that was with the wife driving to and from work and I hadn't really taken the truck offroad during that time. It maxed out at about 14. After I did the headers I've been around 14.9 to 15.1 MPG regularly. Take what you will from that, it's not a bad investment.

Horsepower tests have concluded that my Pathy improved by 14.5 hp coming in just shy of 285 horses. With the K&N intake she's pushing 300 hp. That was running just conventional oil too. I felt that the trucks weakness was the low end when I first got it. Now it's noticably better. After I got everything I had the honor of being "called out" by a Dodge Ram Hemi on the way home right after I had my headers done. Didn't take much for me to acknowlede the challenge. Needless to say, he got a pretty good look at my dual out set up for as long as he could actually see me that was. :twisted:

To say that the truck sounds like a V-8 would be an insult. It has it's own unique growl that's for sure, but it doesn't sound anything like a V-8 in my opinion. If you want an idea of how your Pathy would sound with a Borla system on it you can visit this website:

http://www.borla.com/

Keep in mind it does sound better in person, but it's close.

Oh, one more thing. I'd advise against Spintech anything. It's loud and can get annoying. It's also been known to drop your gas mileage quite a bit. I had several friends go from Spintech, because they wanted the noise and it was cheaper, to Flowmasters or Borla not too long after because of the noise considerations and drop in gas mileage. Ultimately, your rig your call. :)
Did you buy a universal kit? They dont show anything for the Pathy. How much was it total? and where did you get the headers?

FindyourPath

latest muffler/exhaust choices

Postby FindyourPath » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:28 pm

i am ready to put a exhaust on my 2008 SE 4.0 and eventually an intake mod (K&N or the V??something)

i would like a nice growl when i step on it. however i do NOT want that annoying drone at typical cruising RPMs. i have been told that the stock pipe set up is pretty good.

what is the latest thinking based on all the info?

great forum!!

nutbar78

Postby nutbar78 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:24 pm

BMXPath wrote:
I just got this......No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be Stationary.

Very good.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”