Brake Pad and Rotors

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Speed

Brake Pad and Rotors

Postby Speed » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi, I'm looking for some information on brake pads and rotors for the R50 Pathfinder. My dad's 2001 4wd Pathy is due to have the front pads and rotors replaced soon, he's retired and he mostly drives the truck in the city and he doesn't tow either. I'm probably going to buy some aftermarket pads/rotors for him (b/c the pads are over $110 Canadian and the rotors are about the same each). Does anyone know what the stock pads are made from (ie. Ceramic/Sem-Metallic/Organic)? Does anyone have any recommendations (pads and rotors) or perhaps would like to share any experiences any info would be great! Where does everyone buy there nissan parts from?

Thanks!

Nighter-cdn

Pads / rotors replacement

Postby Nighter-cdn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Hey,

I have done pads and rotors on vehicles before but never had to remove the bearings to get at the rotor. The Pathfinder requires you to take off the wheel, pop the bearing cap and then completely remove the bearings, which once you have done it, isn't that hard.

**The tricky part is that you need a specific tool to properly torque and seat the bearings to factory specs. This is the tricky part as I couldn't find one at Canadian Tire or Lordco. Nissan wanted $100 for the tool which kind of looks like an "h" where the top part has a nut for torque and the two other ends insert into two small holes around the bearings. I ended up making my own (which took the longest of all because it kept on breaking).

In total I suppose I spent about $275 (high end rotors and pads) from Lordco (w 30% discount). Budget and Midas wanted $575 for the job which at the end of the day isn't so crazy.

The first wheel took my buddy and I (including tool manufacturing) about 4-5hrs to complete (very long). The second wheel took us only about 30 minutes !!!

Anyhow, depends on how handy you are, your tool collection and ability to get a good price on parts ! Check out the "Service Manual" located under R50... it gives you a step by step process, with photos. This is very helpful when re-assembling the hub as certain washers, o-rings and retainers have to go back in the same order !

Good luck !

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:14 pm

for the tool, you can get a much cheaper version right here : http://www.autopart.com/TOOLS/TOOLSMAIN/tool/T_4170.htm

Speed

Postby Speed » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

^thanks for the tool link.

Yeah, I realize there's a lot more involved than changing the rotors/brakes on most other cars. So I'm debating whether to do this myself or not.

spottyj

Postby spottyj » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm

Request some assitance. I cannot find how to replace rotors on my 2004 Pathfinder. I looked in R50 on-line service manual, but no luck. Can someone point me in the right direction please.

What I am trying to detrmine is the steps to replace the rotors (special tool - yes/no, torque specs, if pulling bearing - how, etc).

TIA

Litey

pads only

Postby Litey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:19 am

If i only want to replace the pads only ....(not cut or change rotors)
can I do that without removing the rotors or needing that tool .
I have some cheap pads on there from previos owner that are so messy
i want to put a nice ceramic or dust free pads on ...also could use a reccomendation on that ...

fleurys

Re: pads only

Postby fleurys » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 am

Litey wrote:If i only want to replace the pads only ....(not cut or change rotors)
can I do that without removing the rotors or needing that tool .
I have some cheap pads on there from previos owner that are so messy
i want to put a nice ceramic or dust free pads on ...also could use a reccomendation on that ...
Yes you can replace the pads without removing the rotor or using that tool. A simple job.

Litey

Brake Pads

Postby Litey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Thanks Fluerys !!!

and spottyj here is the best link for a pathfinder brake job ...very complete ...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-repla ... 45492.html

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”