oil pressure switch - different?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

oil pressure switch - different?

Postby disallow » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 pm

I went to change my oil pressure sensor today, even though its bloody cold out. I popped the connector off, used my 24mm deep socket and it spun out of the block quite nicely.

Did the old compare between old part and new part, and what the heck? The old sensor has a 3 pin connector, the new one has a 1 pin connector. Verified on Courtesy Nissan, they also carry the 1 pin connector version.

Guess its back to the dealer tomorrow... :(

Cleaned the old oil sensor out, and put some permatex on the threads per instructions and reinstalled. I won't start it until tomorrow evening any ways.

EDIT: just checked the rockauto website, and they carry both. The differentiator is 'for gauge' and 'for light' so I'm not sure what that is supposed to mean... Are there 2 sensors?

t

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:01 am

from my research the 3 pin is the "real" or old school 2005 sensor. The other is the "dummy" sensor that only shows pressure in the middle of the guage if any pressure exists at all. I was very disappointed when I replaced mine recently with the non 3 pin. I didn't realize the 3 pin could still be found, I going to check rock right now.

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:44 am

yes that is confusing, I don't know, but that was my thought after looking at rock. When I looked at the FSM to replace mine it only referred to one oil pressure sensor, weird. hopefully someone else will chime in

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 am

WheatBread wrote:from my research the 3 pin is the "real" or old school 2005 sensor. The other is the "dummy" sensor that only shows pressure in the middle of the guage if any pressure exists at all. I was very disappointed when I replaced mine recently with the non 3 pin. I didn't realize the 3 pin could still be found, I going to check rock right now.
You're right Wheatbread. I checked with the dealer, and the sensor I need for my application isn't $30, its $120. The difference being the connector and functionality.

Since I can get the version I need from RockAuto for $65, I think I will go that route, but only after I've verified that I don't actually have low oil pressure. Will be taking to my neighbour this weekend so he can do the test.

So if you get the 3-pin sensor, how will you wire it? Your harness probably won't support the functionality, unless you are prepared to run 2 more wires... plus you need the female end to the 3-wire connector, where you getting that? I can give you the number from the connector, I have it in a picture.

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:30 am

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:58 am

here is the part number I ordered:

Part Number: 25070-CD00A
Description: SWITCH, OIL PRESSURE
$56.97

Now here is some correspondence between me and the nissan parts guys I get my parts from:

Me: Hey Rob, is this the new "Dummy sensor" that started in 06? It really doesn't read like my old one (before it broke). It basically stays in the middle even at idle, when the old one would go down towards low at idle.

Him: Aaron,
There are only two oil pressure sensors for the R51 pathfinder, they are broken up by production dates:
08/04 TO 04/07 AND 04/07-CURRENT
I beleive your are right, that sensor is just a two prong sensor so it senses only if there is or isnt pressure.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:42 pm

I checked with the dealer, and the sensor I need for my application isn't $30, its $120. The difference being the connector and functionality.
If the dealer quoted you $120, they are ripping people off! The retail price is $77.83.
Part # 25070-CD00A

WheatBread

Postby WheatBread » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:29 pm

and as you can see above I only paid $56.97 at a dealership - in Texas, but your in Canada so I don't know much about prices there

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm

Lets just say that us hosers get hosed.... bigtime!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:44 am

Looks like removing, cleaning with brake cleaner and reinstalling may have fixed by pressure sensor.

How does this thing work anyways? Does it actually have moving parts? Maybe it got gummed up?

Regarding the question of where the gauge gets its signal, it says its controlled by the combination meter in the electrical portion of the manual. Based on my experience, you'd need a reflash of your BCM to the older 2005 version of software in order to get full functionality of the gauge, even if you ran the necessary wires.

Best bet is to replace the gauge or get a second one like the other poster suggested in the CF thread I posted.

t

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:28 am

Tested the oil pressure yesterday. Was well within the spec of 14 psi at idle and 43 psi at 2000 rpm.

So looks like my next task is to get a sending unit shipped from Courtesy Nissan. Not a huge rush though.

t

05PathyOR

Postby 05PathyOR » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:17 am

This worked great for me! Been driving a few years with that gauge on H all the time...nice to know the fix was quick and easy. Also searched for some Rock Auto coupon codes, and was able to save even more money. Only issue I had was a little oil dripped out when the sensor was removed; just plug it up with paper towels, install the new sensor, spray off everything with brake cleaner, and you are set. I did have to remove the skid plate under the oil pan/front diff. 4 12mm bolts and I was done. Didn't even need to lift the Pathy, just crawled under and was done in about 15 minutes. The key, though, is the 24mm deep socket.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”