2002 Pathfinder front brake pad change DIY

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

chuhsi

2002 Pathfinder front brake pad change DIY

Postby chuhsi » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi everyone...new member here.

I finally changed the front brake pads on my wife's 2002 Pathfinder at 77k miles. Since I couldn't find a DIY anywhere on the web, I decided to put one together to hopefully help other Pathfinder owners. It's pretty straightforward.

http://thepanthatcan.blogspot.com/2009/ ... -2002.html

Please let me know if I should add or delete anything in my DIY. thanks!

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:04 am

The only comment I would make is regarding the re-surfacing of the rotor. Some call it "turning" the rotor. Local auto part stores will turn them for under $10 a rotor. It think this is critical for a smooth braking feel. It would eliminate any pulsating or vibration from the brake pedal due to warping. Just my .02 cents.

Gonzo

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:46 pm

Very nice and well explained. Would you happen to know if you can replace your stock rotors with some aftermarket DRILLED & SLOTTED ROTORS. And I guess still use the same calipers? What do you think?

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:32 am

The only purpose for slotted\crossed drilled rotors are for quicker dispalcement of heat (faster cooling). This is popular for racing applications where braking is frequent therefore requiring cooling of the braking system. I really dont see a need for this type of rotor for off-roading unless you're doing it at high speeds, i.e. Baja 2000 (not sure of the race title).

When I was active in the import scene I had a stage 2 brake upgrade on my Civic Si and I could lock up my wheels with summer only tires on. I could see a brake pad upgrade and maybe brake lines but oherwise the stock brakes seems to stop my truck well.

Gonzo

thetiger

Postby thetiger » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks Gonzo for the info.

Gonzo

Postby Gonzo » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Anytime brother.

julianwong

Rotor resurfacing

Postby julianwong » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Most auto parts store don't just resurface captive rotors. They have to be turned on-car. The hole in the center is too large for any of their cones.

I have tried many auto parts stores. It was cheaper to replace the rotors than turn them on the car since labor is free (my own time).

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Has anybody tried the ceramic pads? I understand that it's advisable to change out rotors and pads as a unit. A set of drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads go for about a hundred dollars on Ebay. I'd like to try them on my next brake rebuild.

julianwong

Cerimic brake pads

Postby julianwong » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:45 pm

I have used Wagner's thermoquiets with much success. Low dust, good braking and quiet ;)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Ceramics are the way to go, IMO. That said, there are "good" ceramics and "cheap" ceramics on the market these days, so it's best to stick with a good name brand. I prefer Akebono Ceramic pads and I usually get them from Rockauto.com. They come with new hardware and grease. Akebono has been a supplier to Nissan of brakes for decades, so they fit and perform as good as original equipment or better. Raybestos Professional Grade are also very good. I've used Wagner Ceramics and Napa Hybrid Technology and they were both good. I've bought cheap ceramic pads from Advance Auto Parts and they were pretty shoddy and squeaked, but have used their "Platinum Ceramics" and they were pretty good.

craig1980

Postby craig1980 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 am

Don't forget to lubricate the slide pins. They often get corroded and seize without being cleaned and re greased with silicone paste.

Return to “General Automotive”