05 rear door latch cover rust problem

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Gray

05 rear door latch cover rust problem

Postby Gray » Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 am

This might be interesting to any who have 2005 PF's but haven't upgraded the rear door latch cover to the new type. When the 05's came out the rear door latch cover was poorly designed and vibration of the cover would eventually wear the paint, expose the metal and then rusting would occur seen as streaks of rust down from the latch cover and around the licence plate area on some of the PF's. The door rust repair and replacement with the redesigned latch cover are covered in TSB 05091, although I don't see that number in the service bulletin list.

Talking with the local service department they tell me that 2006's and later don't have this problem as the redesigned cover was factory installed from then on, but 06+ owners should watch that area for rust problems anyway and that on the 2005's rust often doesn't start showing until after a couple of years.

Here's a NissanHelp thread that discusses some of the problem.

bender031

Postby bender031 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:38 pm

I have an 05 and the problem occured very quickly. i am a freak about keeping my car washed and waxed, so it wasnt neglect that made it occur so fast. i had the TSB done and havent seen any trace of the problem returning. my problem occured within the first year, so hopefully if you dont see it already, you should be safe.

Not sure if you are stating that even with the 'fix' there still might be a problem, but if anyone is trying to figure out if yours might be affected, if you see clear 'tape' at the ends of the chrome license plate finisher, on the paint, you should be ok.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu May 29, 2008 5:17 am

I had the TSB done a while back because of the rust. They had a body person come repaint the rear and then the shop put on the clear tape. The only reason I know it was the shop is because a body person with any respect for himself wouldn't put it on crooked. At least it done and no rust after 2 years.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”