FRONT END INTERMITTENT SHAKE PROBLEM

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Hans2112

FRONT END INTERMITTENT SHAKE PROBLEM

Postby Hans2112 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:53 pm

I have a 99.5 with 94K on it. Some time ago, it began doing this intermittent shake that I am certain is coming from the R Front Wheel. I looked and the cailper was seized, so I replaced and all seemed well. I even rotated tires in case of broken belt, etc. But it started doing the shake again. Funny thing is, I can pull over, check the wheel (give it a swift kick) and it will roll down the road fine. In other words, there is no predicting when this is going to occur, but when it does, its serious. I've never known tie rod ends, etc. to "behave" once they've worn out. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:25 am

Have you downloaded the shop manual for your truck? The troubleshooting guide may help. It could be a few things, tie rods ends, wheel bearings, not sure but maybe ball joints. First download the manual from http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledgebase/links/16 Then jack up your truck and check for loose suspension parts. That's about the only way to know for sure. It could be a bad strut also.

Hans2112

Maybe have this 1/2 figured out

Postby Hans2112 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:13 pm

Ok. As I said, I replaced the R caliper. Got lazy and didn't finish the L side brakes. After doing so, the shake got worse-brakes got hot & smelly-etc. So it appears the L caliper needs to go. Since I am no Anti-lock genious, is there a proportioning valve or anything that could be causing my calipers to seize? Just want to know so I can stay on top of this. Thanks

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:50 pm

Have you replaced the rotors? If they are warped, then you will get a shake with just the slightest touch of the brakes. I had warped rotors on my jeep and it was worse at 50mph than 25. I don't think one side will effect the other. I could be wrong though.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”