Any high mileage R51's out there with little problems?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Serpens

Postby Serpens » Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 am

gjacko77 wrote:I have an 06 Nissan pathfinder with 101k. The vehicle was purchased 4 years ago as a Nissan Certified Used Car with 34k on the odometer. I purchased it on a whim and drove from Cincinnati to Knoxville in a 93 Ford Explorer that did not have reverse :). Drove the Pathfinder home and noticed the breaks were worn worn. The following day i called corporate Nissan and they immediately rectified the break problem. Nissan had me take it into the dealer and replace all 4 rotors and pads. With all of the horrible radiator/ tranny issues i thought i would share my good experience with Corporate Nissan.

No other, what I consider, major issues. I did the bypass at 90k. Ordered a new non OEM radiator at 91k but have yet to install it. Not looking forward to the install. I am a recent college grad with minimal repair experience. This repair seems like it could be "fun." My father and I have tackled many repairs in the past but i want to tackle this on my own :)

I just replaced the front pads and rotors at 100k. My extended warranty covered two leaky valve covers at 96k at the dealer.

I also just purchased the Airlift 1000 yesterday and look forward to installing them along with new shocks once they arrive.

Crossing my fingers I don't encounter the cat or any fuel sending issues. Overall I love my pathfinder and hope to keep it for another 4-5 years.
Good to see another Cinci resident here. Please let me know how the airlift goes for you. Was thinking of installing it on my Pathy in the next couple of months.

gjacko77

Postby gjacko77 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Serpens i HIGHLY recommend the install. If you need any advice feel free to private message me and I can shoot you my contact info. Advanced auto parts has a $50 off $100 coupon right now if ordering online.

Installed the Airlift 1000 this evening. Took me 1.5 hours after my floor jack issue. I had to place a large block of wood underneath the jack to add an additional 1 inch of lift to get both tires off. I made sure to have my jack stands under the frame through the entire process to prevent any mishaps. Other than the jack issue the directions and install was straight forward.

WOW.... Like former members stated "Best $100 bucks i invested in the Pathy." I am running 12 psi in each airbag. I ran each bag individually and mounted them in the bumper. I noticed a stiffer rear end and no bottoming out over the HORRIBLE Cincinnati Roads. It also seemed to rid the pathfinder of the "squaty" rear end. I will measure from the fender to the center cap of the front and rear tire to get an accurate ride height later this week.

The true test will be my weekend road trip/ bachelor party up to Indianapolis for the Indy 500. I will be hauling 6 of my buddies, two tents, MULTIPLE cases of beer and a few coolers (approximately 1300lbs). Its going to be a tight fit but I am thinking of bumping my psi up to 20ish psi in each bag. Any recommendations?

After my wedding and honeymoon I plan to tackle a new radiator, front struts and rear shocks. :)

Hud33

Postby Hud33 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:59 pm

2005 LE with 175K here. I guess mine is one of the highest mileage R51s in the country. I've had a couple of wiring issues, replaced struts and shocks, and multiple sensors. Overall, I'm very satisfied and still driving it.

oreogaborio

Postby oreogaborio » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:17 pm

146k miles on my 05, here. Been relatively trouble free and I've been towing with it quite a bit since I picked it up, pulling a 4-5k pound 14x7.5' enclosed trailer.

Pretty much just routine maintanence stuff thus far *knocks on wood.

Did the ATF radiator bypass, airlift 1000 bags, brake controller, 7 pin trailer harness, weight distributing hitch, bullydog GT tuner. So far it's worked out great.

I wouldn't mind a bigger truck when I'm towing, but it does the trick. If/when I replace it I'd like to get a bigger truck and a small, fun commuter car since I"m putting 80 miles a day on this thing for work. :?

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm

258k miles here on my '08.

changed the plugs, front u joints, and front brakes, thats it!

runs great, almost all highway miles.

the AC compressor vibrates pretty rough at times, but not bad, you can hear it and feel it, but i figure thats just a side effect of it kicking in.

the timing could probably use a slight tweak, but its not bad at all once it get warmed up and i start cruising steady.

gas mileage is the biggest downside. im getting around 15-17 mpg depending on the time of year, the weather, the wind, and how much gear i have loaded.

great truck, i just wish i had a bit more leg room for the long drives i do almost daily.

Mallthus

115k on my 2008 LE V8...

Postby Mallthus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

...and no major issues.

I have had to replace a failed transfer case seal, but that's not really something I'd call a major failure.

There's been a couple of electrical gremlins, but they've resolved themselves.

One time, it refused to start and gave all the indications of a dead battery. Gave it a trickle charge overnight and it was still dead in the morning. Finally got it jump started and took it over to the nearest shop that deals in Optima batteries (what I run in all my cars). They ran a diagnostic on the battery and it was fine and fully charged. Haven't (touch wood) had the problem repeat.

Other electrical issue was with the external temperature sensor. It decided it was 14* outside and nothing was going to change its mind. Net result was that the climate control system tried to cook me. Stopped for gas and when I turned it back on, it figured out it was 32*, not 14*, almost instantly.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:31 am

My friend has a 2009 with around 230k miles. He still uses it as a daily driver for work. But he bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee about 2 months ago for weekends/road trips.

dawgn86

Postby dawgn86 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:55 pm

just an update for me...

2006 PF now has 143k miles on it...still going good...just a few minor things so far such as the oil cooler ring...i did replace u joints

starting to hear the timing chain whine and not sure if thats a job I want to tackle or not.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:03 am

122k on my '05 LE. Nothing major has happened. Did the bypass at 119k and lucky me the radiator didnt screw up especially that long. Runs great, shifts smoothly and everything works perfectly. Just installed the airlifts 2 weeks ago and it tremendously changed the ride for 2nd row passengers.

ValleyWalker

'12 with 137k

Postby ValleyWalker » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:44 am

I just bought a 2012 with 137,100 miles on it. I love it so far (only about 200 miles so far)

I'm posting a question in the R51 Misc section as I need your opinions on what I should/not add to the new car for what I'm using it for. All details are in that post, thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:38 am

2012 with 137k?! I guess she didn't do many short trips! :wink:

ValleyWalker

lol

Postby ValleyWalker » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:29 am

I know right?!? She drives as smooth as a virgin on prom night!

FLiPMaRC

Re: lol

Postby FLiPMaRC » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:20 am

ValleyWalker wrote:I know right?!? She drives as smooth as a virgin on prom night!
Hope my 2012 still rides smooth when I eventually reach that high mileage. Mines at 38k right now :lol: My 14 year old Eclipse is at 73k.

mwetzel394

2008 V8 with 143000 miles

Postby mwetzel394 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 am

2008 V8 143000 miles, Truck/ still strong and beautiful, no major problems, the Mas filter is finicky, I have one for summer and 1 for winter, the switch on HVAC fan keeps going, nothing else, great ride , want to replace it as we drive to Buffalo a lot with dogs, trying to talk here into getting something similar, only ride I currently like is the TDI Audi Q7 , or Toureg( TDI) (smaller) , Change oil, with Mobil 1 every 4500 miles, did full tranny flush a while back had to replace two Michelin tires only had 85000 miles on them ( had a sidewall cut on one)

Great ride, love the V8, dont know what to buy in its place, I just may keep driving for now....

looks like new, except for a couple of dings on it!

mooremayhem

2012 SV 4x4 with 101,600 miles

Postby mooremayhem » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:27 pm

i bought my 2012 with 27k miles. it has been rock solid. obviously i put a lot of miles on it. no issues what so ever. however, this past saturday my engine light came on. turns out, driving through deep puddles at 30 mph can cause your 02 sensors to act up and throw a code. specifically, the code reader at advanced auto said O2 sensor bank1 sensor 2. after driving a lot today, no engine light...all is good.

it's time to replace the rotors and pads. but that should be easy and i'm actually surprised i haven't had to do it sooner.

also, there is a whine when accelerating sometimes. seems to be when AC is on. not sure what that could be.

anyways, love the Pathy. strong truck. just wished i got better than 18mpg.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”