Alpine PLV-7s or Alpine's Repair Depot...10th times a charm

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:50 pm

It's back, new amp, it works and now with the new Red Top Optima there is no more dimming at any volume....
I can pretty much say for the record I don't believe I will ever spend my money on another overpriced Alpine POC again. I know a lot of people swear Alpine as the mother load of car stereo manufacturers. Keep in mind a SubZero Fridge can cost over $20k and are still one of the least reliable pieces of equipment out there. Man I hope the new Kenwood DNX8120 doesn't have some lame cartoon interface, cause the new IVA-W505 is not even a consideration. Darn shame too you can dock Alpine's Blackbird II GPS in it and pop it out when you go in another vehicle... Cest La Vie

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:35 pm

Glad you finally got a working amp. Hope the rest of the install goes better.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:52 am

Thanks Boogy,
Some warm day I may have to rip the seats out and rewire the speakers and maybe even replace the disconnected tweeters in the dash. But for now I have no complaints with leaving it as it is. My only nagging upgrade is replacing my 6.5" DVD HU with a 7" GPS/DVD combo so I can give my GF my hacked MIO 310CX. Not a Garmin but it's essentially a palm pilot now with Tomtom and the Mio S/W as well as all the media player stuff. After having a fully loaded Escalade for 2 weeks in Aspen I can't go back to a 3.5" screen.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:14 am

Here is some news on the kenwood/garmin units. Garmin-powered Excelon DNX-8120 http://blastmagazine.com/2008/03/new-ke ... ve-garmin/

I'm sure it won't be cheap, but you will have the backing of 2 big electronics names.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:44 am

Ha thats a picture of the 5120 too...
I've seen them pre-list at $1200 so far on sonicelectronics.com
They were due this month but.... so far no one has them in stock. I really want to see this one in person and push some buttons.
Kinda scares me tho my PLV-7 was a effort by Tymphany, Bang and Olufson, and Alpine. Garmin, Parrot, and Kenwood Sort of wondering if too many chefs spoil the 12v electronics...

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:35 am

Garmin's UI has gotten plenty of praise lately, so it should help Kenwood, since they have been married for a few years.

Fofiddy

F Alpine in the A

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Hey Boogey, I ended up getting the 8120, Great unit, does everything I want, the UI is just OK tho. I know I already post about it so I won't go into it.
The PLV7 has been rendered an Anchor, AGAIN. So I pulled my tusty Ancient Phoenix Gold M100 out of storage, PM'd the board and checked the components and traces. Hooked it up to a single kicker 10" L5 2ohm solobaric in a Kicker truck enclosure (to save Space). I almost hate myself for wasting the time I did with Alpine and thier horrific repair center.
PLV7: great concept, Dreadfull excecution F--.
Kicker L5 10" square sub: Not what I remember 2 let alone 1 10" sub sounding like.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”