What can we do with an old alternator?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Macgomes

What can we do with an old alternator?

Postby Macgomes » Fri May 03, 2019 4:05 am

Hello everyone,,
I just had my alternator replaced and I asked my mechanic if he could take my old one to recycle. He said yes, but he ended up giving me back my old one (Which I don't mind at least they are honest).
showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/
But now, what do I do with it? I bought it off ebay and not at a parts store, so I know I will not get a core charge at all.

Should I look for a shop that specializes in remanufacturing alternators or do I have other options?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri May 10, 2019 10:36 am

You could have an auto electric shop rebuild it, if you want, and have a spare or resell it. Or, you could take it to an auto salvage yard to see if they'll give you anything for it, but don't expect much. Or, if you have a vocational school with an automotive program, you could donate it to them. Or, you could take it apart and see if you can rebuild it yourself. You may find out that the brushes were worn out. There should be some "how to" vids on YouTube, I would think..

larken

Postby larken » Wed May 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Take it to a shop that re-build motors. There are a couple around here in my area. I was helping a buddy installing the sliders and 18-Inch off road truck wheels on his truck project when he mentioned he got the alternator re-build only in 3 days by one of the shop here and it is working great.

Return to “General Automotive”