What style Fog lights ?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

What style Fog lights ?

Postby nismopath » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:06 pm

I have now purchased two sets of eBay LED lights for my fog lights and they have lasted a year max, each.
My question is, what type of bulb do you use for maximum lighting , in the stock fog light ? Halogen, LED or HID ? And what brand/model do you recommend?
I travel back roads and need better fog lighting.

ssobol

Re: What style Fog lights ?

Postby ssobol » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:07 pm

nismopath wrote:I have now purchased two sets of eBay LED lights for my fog lights and they have lasted a year max, each.
My question is, what type of bulb do you use for maximum lighting , in the stock fog light ? Halogen, LED or HID ? And what brand/model do you recommend?
I don't know about the LED bulbs, but years ago I used to have a Nissan car. The bulbs in the fog lights were always going out. I just ended up taking them off completely and throwing them away. I was much happier after I did that.

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Re: What style Fog lights ?

Postby palmerwmd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:16 pm

nismopath wrote:I have now purchased two sets of eBay LED lights for my fog lights and they have lasted a year max, each.
I had the exact same intent almost 2 years ago for both my Xterra and my R51 Pathfinder.

There are direct replacement bulbs that are brighter.
They accomplish this by making the filament thinner so while drawing the same wattage it burns brighter.

After much research I went with these exact bulbs Made in Germany:

Headlights
https://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detai ... er+Edition

I put these both into my Pathfinder and my Xterra and enjoy noticeable improvement in light.
Its not HIDs of course.. but quite nice enough for the small expense and effort.
Now Bulbs of this type will not last as long as OEM.. I fully expect to be replacing them every 18 months.
But to me that trade off is well worth it.
(However neither bulbs have yet to burn out even though its been nearly 2 years)

PS: Sylvania has broadly similar products but they are infamous for burning out quickly.When you make more light via thinner filament quality control has to be 100.00%
In this class of lighting improvement via bulb switch the Phillips appear to be the longest lasting and best reviewed (and I attest to being effective)

I followed up the brighter bulbs with a headlight clearer/polisher for even better results.
Nighttime driving makes more fun now.

These are for the foglights but I have not ordered them yet because I am so happy with my "new" headlights...
https://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detai ... er+Edition

PS2: These do not have the fashionable blue tint. "Just" more light.
PS3: I bought them from tirerack and smilar "old school" car part sellers because I prefer supporting them over amazon, as I feel Bezos is becoming too powerful and i dont like this political donation habits.
Also Tirerack has been a loyal friend to the automotive community for decades. :wink:

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:11 pm

good to know. thanks for the links

Return to “R51 Electrical”