Need to make a choice on Highway /All Season Tires

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Ride2Live

Need to make a choice on Highway /All Season Tires

Postby Ride2Live » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:01 pm

Hey Guys,

I have 50k on my oem long trails and they are done. Seeing we are getting a good share of snow this winter here in Ohio, I would like to get a set as good or better replacement for the PF.

I have searched the threads and a lot of you buy the TA's. I can't justify them as 99.8% of the miles are on pavement. A good handling street tire with great wet, snow, performance is what I'm after.

According to tire rack reviews these are the contenders and they are listed as best first. I am leaning towards the Generals or Continental Cross contact's LX.

General Grabber HTS
Goodyear Fortera TripleTred
Avon Ranger TSE
Continental CrossContact LX
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour

Anyone have experience with all seasons? Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
Pete

LittleStevie

Postby LittleStevie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. After ~15k miles on mine, I am absolutely, completely sold.

Amazing wet and dry traction and hydroplaning resistance, and they really tightened up my suspension feel and steering response. They are pricey, but you will not be disappointed.

As far as treadlife goes, I haven't taken any measurements but I'd estimate that I've used about 1/3 of the tire. I'll be happy to get 45k out of them.

Ride2Live

Re: Need to make a choice on Highway /All Season Tires

Postby Ride2Live » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Correction on my original post.

I meant to say AT's not TA's as in Goodrich, but in general as all terrain tires.

I have searched the threads and a lot of you buy the TA's. I can't justify them as 99.8% of the miles are on pavement. A good handling street tire with great wet, snow, performance is what I'm after.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Ride2Live wrote:Hey Guys,

Anyone have experience with all seasons? Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
Pete
My Michelin Cross Terrains have been great, although they ARE a bit spendy. Swapped my new OEM Generals when I bought the truck. 16K, no measureable treadwear, smooth highway ride (no, I don't do off-road), super wet/dry handling. Can't comment on snow/ice performance, as Houston gets mighty little of the stuff.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:28 am

Ride2Live wrote:I have searched the threads and a lot of you buy the TA's. I can't justify them as 99.8% of the miles are on pavement. A good handling street tire with great wet, snow, performance is what I'm after.
Pete, over 90% of my miles are on the pavement as well. But, those pavement miles include lots of snow in the winter. I've been driving around in 4hi most of the time the past 3-4 weeks. I have all terrains, and I wouldn't have it any other way-they are a minimum for snow, IMO. The "all seasons" just don't do snow as well as they do rain, and I've gone through a number of different brands & their tires. They certainly don't compare with any of the all terrains when it comes to snow handling. My point is to not think of the all terrains as exclusively dirt only.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:09 am

I also have Goodyear Forteras.They are an excellent tire with great traction, great handling, and they are very quiet.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:10 pm

i actually swear by the BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A's on pavement!

the best ride on the PF! from my experience it's pretty soft on the corners and really solid on the straightaways.

I can't wait for my long trails to wear down!

Ride2Live

Postby Ride2Live » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for all of your input/opinions on tires.

I am probably going to give the Grabber HTS's try. Not because of what the Tire Rack reviews rates them but because of what I have read in some of the rags like Four Wheeler etc.. they all said this tire is it when it comes to all seasons. And a lot of dealers say they are on back order.

I based my decision on a couple other things: 1)Mileage, I'm putting on around 25k a year right now. 2)Cost, we have cut back on a lot of things due to the economic climate and the General's fit in the budget.

Worst case they don't impress me and I get something else in a couple years.

I will report back with an opinon good or bad after we put them through some of the good snow falls we have been getting here in Ohio this winter. My fiance and I like to head out into Amish country after we get a good hammering of bad weather. The hills and lack of plow trucks make for some fun drives.

Sven1olaf

Postby Sven1olaf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:47 am

i would be interested in knowing what people are wearing on their pathys as well. i drive a lot, about 150-300 miles per day, 5 days per week, or about 1000 miles per week.

im located in north dakota so the highways are often snow blown and icey. the long trails i have on now are working absolutely amazingly, but am already budgeting for the next pair of shoes.

the highway conditions out here vary pretty drastically, as well as the weather. during the spring, fall, and summer months i do a lot of camping, fishing, and general outdoors stuff, so a tire that is adaptable is important to me.

and given the mileage i put on, fuel economy and lifespan are also high on the list.

does anyone out there recommend a single tire that can handle 80 mph on icey/snow covered highways, and then switch it up and easy on gas mileage and tire wear? or should i start thinking about a winter and a non-winter set of tires?

is it me, or do people seem to overlook the importance of good tires =]

thanks in advance guys

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”