08 Pathfinder YD25DDTI (Diesel Engine) Loss of acceleration

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kofi

08 Pathfinder YD25DDTI (Diesel Engine) Loss of acceleration

Postby Kofi » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:33 am

I have a problem!

Nissan Pathfinder 2008 YD25DDTI (Diesel Engine)

Problem: When driving at speeds above 110Kmph, the truck all of a sudden feels like it had down shifted and immediately starts to decelerate. No amount of stepping on the gas would make it move. It will decelerate till it comes to rest. It happens both when you are moving at a constant/same speed and at times when you are trying to decelerate.

What I do is when that happens I shift to NEUTRAL (N) position and back to DRIVE (D) and the truck starts to work normal when you step on the gas.
I thought it was the throttle so I took it out and did some cleaning but that didn't make any change.

What could be the problem?
Please help!

Chris Steffen

Postby Chris Steffen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:29 am

Hi Kofi

I trust you are keeping well. Attached is an image from the troubleshooting section of the Haynes workshop manual. I hope you can see it, it is the first time I have posted an image so not sure exactly how it works.

This may assist you in identifying the problem. There are so many sensors on the intake, exhaust side and the turbo it could be any of these that have failed or are dirty. Also check your transmission fluid level.

Hopefully this points you in a direction. Let me know I can perhaps post some more images of relevant section referred to in the image below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/12jncwhT1PEUZ5996

Chris Steffen

Postby Chris Steffen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:33 am

Could be dirty diesel. Are you able to use 50ppm diesel and is it from reputable source that does not have contaminated tanks?

Kofi

Postby Kofi » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:01 pm

Chris Steffen wrote:Could be dirty diesel. Are you able to use 50ppm diesel and is it from reputable source that does not have contaminated tanks?
The pump attendant said they sell 50ppm, but I can't really tell if their tank is contaminated and can't bet on their reputation neither.

I will buy from another fuel station and observe.

Chris Steffen

Postby Chris Steffen » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:26 pm

You could look at inserting an additional diesel filter in the engine bay or look at one of these:

https://ph.parker.com/za/en/fuel-filter-funnel

Kofi

Postby Kofi » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:46 pm

Chris Steffen wrote:You could look at inserting an additional diesel filter in the engine bay or look at one of these:

https://ph.parker.com/za/en/fuel-filter-funnel
I have changed the existing filter and that hasn't changed the story. Am going to order the filter funnel you pointed out. I just hope it won't take a whole lot of time during this lockdown period.
If that fails I'll add an extra filter in the engine bay. Just wondering if that won't put more stress on the pump.

Chris Steffen

Postby Chris Steffen » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:28 am

Try and get one of those filters with glass bowl then you can see if it is trapping dirt. Nevertheless, if you have dirty diesel it is difficult to correct without using it all up/draining the tank and replacing with proper diesel. Sometimes garages also mix paraffin in with their diesel to make it go further at the pumps and make it more profitable.

Could be some of the other things mentioned. Best is to ensure you are getting 50ppm diesel and from a reputable filling station.

Try and cut the old filter open to see what sort of dirt has been trapped.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”