Newbie question 08 SE Transmission humming at around 1600rpm

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

flypig
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Newbie question 08 SE Transmission humming at around 1600rpm

Postby flypig » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Just bought my new 08 SE. When it's in 3rd or 4th gear, at around 1600 rpm, I feel a little humming from the transmission. The whole truck is a little shaky too. Not very loud or terrible, but I can feel it.

anybody has the same problem? what might be the cause?

thanks.


User avatar
Captain
Sponsored Member
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:41 pm
Location: S.w. Chicago

Postby Captain » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:27 am

Do you have the V8? I have the V6 SE Prem and I never hurd anyhing from the trans. I do hear a clunk front behind the dash when I change my vents. But its just the doors on the mod box closing

User avatar
Mr Mayor
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: Jerzey. North. It sux.

Postby Mr Mayor » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 am

At 1600 RPMS, anything is possible... resonance from cabin, tranny noise, meteors falling onto the roof rack. Radio isnt loud enough yet..
Take it to the dealer if it's a genuine concern, or better yet, drive another one, go for a test drive at another dealer or something... that always works...

MGJ

coom1986
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Postby coom1986 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:13 am

Ive never experienced it on 3rd or 4th but i do experience it sometimes when on overdrive at around 70-80kmh, i guess its cos it comes on a bit too soon. Ive got a 08 SE V6 as well. I dont think its much of an issue tho..

flypig
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby flypig » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:32 am

Captain caveman wrote:Do you have the V8? I have the V6 SE Prem and I never hurd anyhing from the trans. I do hear a clunk front behind the dash when I change my vents. But its just the doors on the mod box closing
I have V6

flypig
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby flypig » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:36 am

Marginjoey wrote:At 1600 RPMS, anything is possible... resonance from cabin, tranny noise, meteors falling onto the roof rack. Radio isnt loud enough yet..
Take it to the dealer if it's a genuine concern, or better yet, drive another one, go for a test drive at another dealer or something... that always works...

MGJ
Yes, I am guessing it is more of resonance. I feel the the gas pedal is vibrating when the engine is at a certain RPM range (1000-2000). My wife said she felt it on the passenger side too. I am not going to take it to the dealer. I am pretty sure they will check it and say everything is OK. It's not a big problem. Just doesn't give me the perfect "new car" feeling...

User avatar
Mr Mayor
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: Jerzey. North. It sux.

Postby Mr Mayor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Gotcha.

Low rpms will do that though, do what I do....

FLOOR IT ! :twisted:

MGJ

flypig
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby flypig » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Marginjoey wrote:Gotcha.

Low rpms will do that though, do what I do....

FLOOR IT ! :twisted:

MGJ
After more driving, I find it shakes on a wide range of RPM 1000- 2200 on different gears. the interesting thing is that when I switch to the "Manual" mode and use "4", the shaking is gone.

any clue what this might be? I saw the other post talking about knocking, not sure if this is the knocking problem.

KEVSTER
Posts: 401
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:03 pm

IF you have the VDC it is probably that. turn it off and check it out.

acomiskey
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:33 am

Postby acomiskey » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:19 pm

If you read the 08 pathfinder consumer reviews at edmunds.com, there are many complaints about this from v6 owners.

I have something similar in my v8 but it's not really a bump, it's more of an rpm fluctuation around 1200 rpms.

May mention this to your dealer as well.

NTB08045
IF YOU CONFIRM: A short-lasting (less than 1 second) bump/thump is felt: With light throttle application (slight throttle tip-in, less than 2/8), while driving on a flat or slightly inclined road, with the transmission in fith gear and torque converter at full lockup, with an engine speed of approximately 1100-1300 RPM, and at speeds of 35-45 MPH. ACTIONS: Confirm this bulletin applies. Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A on page 3. If that part number does not match one in Table A, this bulletin does not apply. Go back to ASIST for further diagnostic and repair information. If this bulletin applies, reprogram the ECM.

User avatar
rragpaoa
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby rragpaoa » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:14 pm

I have the 2008 V8 4x4. I don't get any bump/thumps or fluctuations at all, but I do get a slight droning sound at low RPMs and or climbing, but I don't feel any vibrations. It's a V8 so I think this is normal. Actually it sounds cool.

flypig
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Postby flypig » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks! this is very helpful. My pathfinder matches all the descriptions. Where to find this bulletin? I would like to compare the ECU number before I take it to a dealer.

acomiskey wrote:If you read the 08 pathfinder consumer reviews at edmunds.com, there are many complaints about this from v6 owners.

I have something similar in my v8 but it's not really a bump, it's more of an rpm fluctuation around 1200 rpms.

May mention this to your dealer as well.

NTB08045
IF YOU CONFIRM: A short-lasting (less than 1 second) bump/thump is felt: With light throttle application (slight throttle tip-in, less than 2/8), while driving on a flat or slightly inclined road, with the transmission in fith gear and torque converter at full lockup, with an engine speed of approximately 1100-1300 RPM, and at speeds of 35-45 MPH. ACTIONS: Confirm this bulletin applies. Check and compare your Current ECM Part Number to Table A on page 3. If that part number does not match one in Table A, this bulletin does not apply. Go back to ASIST for further diagnostic and repair information. If this bulletin applies, reprogram the ECM.


Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”

cron