Transfer case codes P1827 P1828

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Transfer case codes P1827 P1828

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:58 am

2006 Pathfinder LE with the "AUTO" transfer case.

P1827-Clutch pressure switch
P1828-Line pressure switch

I have a feeling this is a rare problem. I have a scantool and the factory service manual and will be going through the diagnostics to figure out what is going on when I get a chance. But, I figured I'd see if anyone has run into the problem before and been able to fix it.

My transfer case seems to be working properly and has been serviced in the past. Once in a blue moon, the 4WD warning light will come on. I typically have the transfer case set in AUTO mode. I don't do any off-roading and haven't had any snow this year so far. Once I start driving, the warning light turns off. When I access the stored codes with a scantool, it get the above codes. The two switches are mounted to the valve body inside the transfer case; they are simple "on/off" switches that let the Transfer case control unit know that the pressure is okay in the hydraulic circuit that they monitor, respectively. They do not share wiring circuits (other than the control unit).

Has anyone dealt with these codes before and fixed them?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:30 pm

UPDATE

I went through the manual self-diagnostic test for the transfer case and came up with no stored codes. Later, while idling and in AUTO mode, the 4WD warning lamp came on and the 2WD/4WD display on the instrument cluster disappeared. Also, I didn't have the ability to change gears in the transfer case. I drove home and in my driveway, I played with the transfer case mode switch and it went back to normal operation. Transfer case self-diagnostic mode came up with two codes: 11 and 12. My thinking at this point is that it is unlikely that both switches would fail exactly at the same time, so possible causes would lean toward a faulty control unit or low hydraulic pressure...possibly low fluid level (checked and saw no leaks), clogged filter (I would think that the filter is typically only serviced during an overhaul), or a bad pump...which would be an expensive fix.

I did some searching and found a 2-year old post at NissanHelp.com, also for a 2006 Pathy LE AWD which had some similar problems, including the same, two trouble codes: clutch pressure switch and line pressure switch. Posted stated he had problem for 2-years and found info on an Armada website where people were fixing the problem by replacing the transfer case relay. He noticed signs of overheating on the terminals, so he cleaned them up and tightened the harness terminal connections. This fixed the problem. This would make sense, because a relay with poor contacts or a bad relay could cause an intermittent condition. Also, this relay controls the electric pump in the AUTO mode transfer case, which operates at speeds below 35 mph to lubricate the wet clutch. Of note, both his issues and mine occur at low speed or idle and the failure was occurring in the "AUTO" mode setting. If the relay fails and the electric pump stops working, then a low pressure condition would affect both pressure switches and trigger the trouble codes.

So, my next step is to take a look at this relay and clean/tighten the terminals. Keeping my fingers crossed!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 am

UPDATE After cleaning the terminals and the transfer motor relay and tightening the connections inside the harness connector, I have had no more issues with the codes setting nor 4WD warning light coming back on. Seems so far the problem is fixed. I think the terminals spread slightly in the harness connector and that was what caused the problem because the relay terminals appeared cleaned and there was no signs of corrosion. I'll update if there's any new information, but for now, I think this one is solved!...knock on wood...

khaosduke

Postby khaosduke » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Have to resurrect this. I had transmission work done and after that I get this intermittent 4WD light coming on. Once it comes on it kicks out the 4x4 (which I use for snow). I took it back in and the guy says there's no stored codes other than a low voltage (my battery was bad) either way, he cleaned up the terminals and it did get better but not 100% resolved.

I'm wondering what could have been done when removing the transmission and transfer case to cause this issue. Is it possible it partially blew a relay?

micky38

Postby micky38 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 am

Very interested in this subject!
We had the Pathy going into limp mode twice whilst driving in the Victorian High Country. The first time we did some hard 4wd tracks, we deleted the diagnostic code and car went beautiful for the next 3 days 4wdriving( car was in 4H when going into limp) nil issues at all.
Second time we were again in the High Country and again, limp mode( car ws in 2wd) transfer case code, deleting it and nil problems since....
The codes were P1827, P1829 and P1807.
We have a new transmission because of the coolant contamination. Any ideas..our mechanic has no idea....
Thanks
Micky

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Has there been any signs of said trouble in the non auto transfer case?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:26 pm

08PathPounder wrote:Has there been any signs of said trouble in the non auto transfer case?
No, because the manual transfer case doesn't have a transfer relay nor wet clutch.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”