Whats the best intake for the 4.0 ?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

User avatar
MEMOCAMPOS
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: Orange County, CA.

Whats the best intake for the 4.0 ?

Postby MEMOCAMPOS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:38 pm

Well guys here goes a newbie ? Is there a proven intake system for the 4.0 engine? Your help is greatly appreciated!!! :o


User avatar
rragpaoa
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:23 am
Location: San Diego, CA

Postby rragpaoa » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 pm

I had the K&N FIPK cold air intake when I had my 2005 V6.
It claimed a 12-15hp difference. There was a difference, but not much. Gas mileage was the same. At least it didn't get worse. I did like the sound though.

My honest opinion, the intake already has a lot of free flow, so for me it really isn't worth it. The horsepower gains are in the 4500+ range, and I hardly ever rev that high anymore (call me an old geezer).
Last edited by rragpaoa on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gray
Posts: 750
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:39 pm
Location: xxx

Re: Whats the best intake for the 4.0 ?

Postby Gray » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:06 pm

memocampos wrote:Well guys here goes a newbie ? Is there a proven intake system for the 4.0 engine? Your help is greatly appreciated!!! :o
The best filter for keeping dirt out of the engine oil that I've found is a Donaldson nano-fiber filter supplied by Amsoil. The best solution for performance is just take off the air filter, :D

A K&N filter is somewhere on the low side of in between. :)

.

User avatar
MEMOCAMPOS
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: Orange County, CA.

Best intake

Postby MEMOCAMPOS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:33 pm

I guess the growl sound always gets me, thanks for the advice :wink:

User avatar
Triffid
Sponsored Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:01 am
Location: Jonesborough, TN USA
Contact:

Postby Triffid » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:21 am

I have the aFe intake & Gibson exhaust on my '05 and it has worked very well... See "View My Album/Mods" below... And yes I like the growl also!........... Triffid

User avatar
MEMOCAMPOS
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: Orange County, CA.

INTAKE

Postby MEMOCAMPOS » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:28 pm

HEY TRIFFID JUST BROWSIN' THROUGH UR PICS, DID U NOTICE MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IN UR PIAA BULBS?

User avatar
Triffid
Sponsored Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:01 am
Location: Jonesborough, TN USA
Contact:

Postby Triffid » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:50 pm

I think they are brighter and reach out a bit further... Hope soon to have a proper front bumper (Shockworks) and real driving and/or fogs... PIAA's are a bit expensive but I like them and have had them on all my other trucks........... Triffid

User avatar
BMXPath
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:55 am
Location: Texas!

Postby BMXPath » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:55 pm

I wish I knew which air intake kit was best. Or at least lived up to its claim. I have the K&N FIPK kit on mine. I could have sworn that I felt a power gain... It must have been the awesome sound when I romp on it that fooled me.
I actually have 1/4 mile drag times from before and after to compare. My gain was hardly measurable. The best time I got after installing it was only 2/100's of a gain in the 1/4. Hardly worth the price tag, for something that just sounds cool. :(

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:09 am

BMXPath wrote:It must have been the awesome sound when I romp on it that fooled me.
:lol: :lol: The first thing that came to mind involves all these cheap little rice rockets that the high school kids have. Rip out half the exhaust & make it as loud as possible, because obviously if it is LOUD, it must be FAST (or badass, phat or whatever lingo they use today). I've lost count on how many of those cars I've smoked, in the PF, at the turn of a green light. I don't normally drive like that, but when you're sitting at a red light with some obnoxiously loud POS next to you revving the engine, what is one to do?

User avatar
2008PatherfinderS
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:15 am

Postby 2008PatherfinderS » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:26 pm

NVSteve wrote:
BMXPath wrote:It must have been the awesome sound when I romp on it that fooled me.
:lol: :lol: The first thing that came to mind involves all these cheap little rice rockets that the high school kids have. Rip out half the exhaust & make it as loud as possible, because obviously if it is LOUD, it must be FAST (or badass, phat or whatever lingo they use today). I've lost count on how many of those cars I've smoked, in the PF, at the turn of a green light. I don't normally drive like that, but when you're sitting at a red light with some obnoxiously loud POS next to you revving the engine, what is one to do?
Yeah the 7.4 sec 0-60 time on the V6 Pathy's is pretty damned quick for it's size.

User avatar
Fofiddy
Moderator
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: New England

Postby Fofiddy » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:33 pm

You would probably get more bang for your buck to replace the Kinked up POS Y pipe.

hollywoodstylin
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: H-Town, TX

Postby hollywoodstylin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:10 am

A lot of the members over at thenewx.org recommend the Volant over any other intake. Plus, it's actually an enclosed intake compared to those open-air intakes.

User avatar
markspath
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: Rockaway, NJ

Postby markspath » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 am

Fofiddy wrote:You would probably get more bang for your buck to replace the Kinked up POS Y pipe.
I'll second that. These after-market kits costs upwards of $200. As far as I can see, there's not much you can improve upon with the Pathy's intake. It's already ducted outside of the engine compartment, and there doesn't seem to be any airflow constrictions other than the filter element itself. I also like the idea that the enclosed design might make it less likely to suck-up water when splashing through creeks and streams.

I'd put that money into a better set of exhaust pipes. Or at least want to see some independent quantification of performance/economy gains on this specific engine before shelling-out that kind of cash.

Now, what about throttle body spacers? I don't understand how an extra inch of airflow is going to boost my horsepower or mileage. Any science behind these claims? Or is this a variation of the "Tornado" device?

Npath
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby Npath » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 pm

BMXPath wrote:I wish I knew which air intake kit was best. Or at least lived up to its claim. I have the K&N FIPK kit on mine. I could have sworn that I felt a power gain... It must have been the awesome sound when I romp on it that fooled me.
I actually have 1/4 mile drag times from before and after to compare. My gain was hardly measurable. The best time I got after installing it was only 2/100's of a gain in the 1/4. Hardly worth the price tag, for something that just sounds cool. :(
From what I've read from K&N, the model you have is best on highway/freeway driving. You don't really feel any increase to power till you reach about 5000rpm's.

The 77 series CAI by K&N gives quicker HP gain after 1600rpm's. I have the 77 series but haven't installed it yet. This series has a polished aluminum tube, not plastic.

Npath
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby Npath » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Npath wrote:
BMXPath wrote:I wish I knew which air intake kit was best. Or at least lived up to its claim. I have the K&N FIPK kit on mine. I could have sworn that I felt a power gain... It must have been the awesome sound when I romp on it that fooled me.
I actually have 1/4 mile drag times from before and after to compare. My gain was hardly measurable. The best time I got after installing it was only 2/100's of a gain in the 1/4. Hardly worth the price tag, for something that just sounds cool. :(
From what I've read from K&N, the model you have is best on highway/freeway driving. You don't really feel any increase to power till you reach about 5000rpm's. Below 5000rpm's, it'll feel like a stock intake system.

The 77 series CAI by K&N gives quicker HP gain after 1600rpm's. I have the 77 series but haven't installed it yet. This series has a polished aluminum tube, not plastic.


Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”

cron