Installing a sunroof

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

EricD

Installing a sunroof

Postby EricD » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:45 am

Hey all,
I want to put a sunroof in my truck. Anyone here ever done this? I'm looking for y'alls input on this project. Any brand better than another? Leak issues? Better to have stealership do it? Etc...
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
E

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:42 am

The idea of cutting a hole in my roof...I dunno. I'd have to find a shop with a great reputation for doing the work and hopefully there's a decent guarantee with it. A shoddy sunroof can really destroy a nice vehicle in a hurry.

I have a factory moonroof in my PF that hasn't been opened in 3 years. Wanna trade?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:15 pm

skinny2 wrote:The idea of cutting a hole in my roof...I dunno. I'd have to find a shop with a great reputation for doing the work and hopefully there's a decent guarantee with it. A shoddy sunroof can really destroy a nice vehicle in a hurry.

I have a factory moonroof in my PF that hasn't been opened in 3 years. Wanna trade?
:lol: the only time mine get opened is to just exercise it, make sure it still works, and check the lube on the tracks
i'd have opted for no moonroof if that had been an option at the time, but the package it came with was worthwhile otherwise

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:24 pm

eieio wrote: :lol: the only time mine get opened is to just exercise it, make sure it still works, and check the lube on the tracks
i'd have opted for no moonroof if that had been an option at the time, but the package it came with was worthwhile otherwise
Same here. I used to open it every so often just to keep it exercised and then at some point I forgot about and it then realized I haven't opened it in 3 years. Kind of scared to screw with it now. My wife has to have a sunroof in all her vehicles and uses them constantly. Her previous vehicle had a front and a pano roof. First year the front one was off-track and it was in the shop a week while they tore the entire interior of the car apart trying to replace it. She traded it not long after that because it was a rattle trap.

I've never wanted one but pretty much always end up with one somehow due to package requirements.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:22 pm

My "06" Toyota 4Runner had a sunroof and they were known to have sunroof issues. It was the only thing that malfunctioned in 200,000 miles of ownership. One day I hit the open button and one side pulled and one side did not! So it twisted in the track stuck half way open! I managed to get it closed and that was it I left it shut for the last 100,000 miles.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:04 am

Kestral wrote:My "06" Toyota 4Runner had a sunroof and they were known to have sunroof issues. It was the only thing that malfunctioned in 200,000 miles of ownership. One day I hit the open button and one side pulled and one side did not! So it twisted in the track stuck half way open! I managed to get it closed and that was it I left it shut for the last 100,000 miles.
That's exactly what happened to my wife's '11 Sienna. The front moonroof twisted up and was stuck. It was/is apparently also a known issue because they already had "updated" parts and it was barely a year old. They had to remove the headliner, which required removing the side pillar panels, which required removing a bunch of other stuff...it was a disaster and our nearest Toyota dealer is a F@#!-tard on a good day.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 am

I had an issue with my 05 pathfinder moonroof. I opened it one day so the kids could play (we were parked in the driveway) they like to stand up and look out of it.

When we finally seated and were ready to go, I closed it, but it would just open right back up. Did this about 6 times, and couldn't get it to stay shut.

Finally I 'helped' it and it stayed shut. I imagine its kind of like a garage door opener, if it feels too much resistance, it stops closing and goes back up. I would imagine this was due to lack of use, and too much resistance on the tracks.

t

EricD

Postby EricD » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:14 am

Thank you all.
I think I'll skip the sunroof mod.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:33 pm

EricD wrote:Thank you all.
I think I'll skip the sunroof mod.
Good move man save the $ for better tires or something

EricD

Postby EricD » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:31 pm

@kestral Good Advice! I got Cooper Discoverer AT3's 265/75.
They look great. Haven't gotten them dirty yet though

Return to “General Automotive”