Whining under load

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

AZRoushStang

Whining under load

Postby AZRoushStang » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:09 pm

So the Path is starting to sound a little whiney lately. It always happens under load, and is best heard under light load (like a conservative acceleration from a stop, or a slow increase from 25-40 for instance).

I can reproduce the noise in neutral by reving up to about 2K or so.

I did some checking last night and it doesn't appear to be power steering (no change in noise with wheel movement...sound coming from the wrong place). Also doesn't appear to be the alternator (again wrong place for noise).

The noise specifically seems to be coming from the top of the engine, maybe more toward the back). I didn't take off the cover to get a better listen (that is this weekend). I'm wondering if it may be a bad injector that is hitting a high duty cycle early (I know injectors click, but do they very sound whiney?), or if it is possibly head related issue.

Any thoughts on what to check and how to check them?

The path is a little rough at idle lately, wondering if the 100k plugs may need to be changed more around the 60k mark.

Just thought I would solicit investigation ideas for the weekend.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:40 am

Stang, you might want to look into the Cam Chain TSB out there, I remember seeing something about this in the past.

coom1986

Postby coom1986 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 am

The early VQ40DE had some cam tensioner problems and as far as i know they should be replaced under warraty. The whinning sound your describing had been described by other pathy owners in this forum, you can check back on previous discussions to see if its the same. How much mileage do you have on the truck??

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:09 am

I've got 60k on the truck, but I have the 75k warranty. With all of the close dealers being idiots.

I had one dealer tell me that the whining was not the cam tensioner about 5 months ago, but it seems to be getting louder. So right now I'm at a loss.

De3JaY

Postby De3JaY » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:32 am

NTB07-042 VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE

ALL NISSAN MODELS WITH VQ ENGINE; BUZZING / WHINING NOISE FROM TIMING CHAIN AREA
There is a buzzing / whining noise coming from one or both secondary timing chain /camshaft sprocket areas. The noise may increase with engine speed (RPM).

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/Knowledg ... =12&page=2

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:18 am

xxx

AZRoushStang

Postby AZRoushStang » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:38 pm

Dropped it off at the dealer on Saturday. Diagnosis is an alternator and the Timing Chain TSB. A little pissed that the first dealer didn't listen to me on that, but what can you do. Extended warranty has my butt on this one so no harm no foul.

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:47 am

AZRoushStang wrote:Dropped it off at the dealer on Saturday. Diagnosis is an alternator and the Timing Chain TSB. A little pissed that the first dealer didn't listen to me on that, but what can you do. Extended warranty has my butt on this one so no harm no foul.
I noticed the whining last week and I only have under 30000km.

Npath

Postby Npath » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Finally got it fixed and would've cost me -$1500 if it wasn't for the warranty. Reason was the chain was slightly loose, causing the chain to drag on the guide.

Took them 3 days to complete the repair... kinda thinkin how long it would've taken me to do it in the backyard with my own FSM.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Npath wrote:Finally got it fixed and would've cost me -$1500 if it wasn't for the warranty. Reason was the chain was slightly loose, causing the chain to drag on the guide.

Took them 3 days to complete the repair... kinda thinkin how long it would've taken me to do it in the backyard with my own FSM.
I have an 05 with 64k miles on it. Noticed that it whines upon startup when its cold (its well below freezing here now). Never occured before.

Goes away after about a mile. I used my stethoscope and none of the front accessories (ps pump, alt, tensioners) are making any noise.

Called the dealer and they apparently have never heard of the TSB, so I will bring a printout for them to review.

Am I on the right track here?

Npath

Postby Npath » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:23 pm

disallow wrote:I have an 05 with 64k miles on it. Noticed that it whines upon startup when its cold (its well below freezing here now). Never occured before.

Goes away after about a mile. I used my stethoscope and none of the front accessories (ps pump, alt, tensioners) are making any noise.

Called the dealer and they apparently have never heard of the TSB, so I will bring a printout for them to review.

Am I on the right track here?
Mmm.... the whine in my engine can be heard when cold and hot. The dealer I went to said they've come across 3 others with the exact same issue.

Problem with yours is it goes away till it sits cold again. Do you still have warranty left on your Pathfinder?

You'll have to sign up at nissanhelp.com to get the TSB.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”