Valentine One Hardwire

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

GimmieSumMo72

Valentine One Hardwire

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:32 am

Has anyone done it in their R51?

Is there a writeup? (with pix preferred)

markspath

Postby markspath » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:30 pm

i don't know what kind of write-up your looking for -- there's not much to it. I've got mine mounted just under and to the right of the rearview mirror. The suction cups for the mounts are just far enough under the masked-out part of the windshield to get a good grip, which allows the back of the V1 to just be visible under the mirror when the mirror is pushed-up as high as it goes on its stalk.

Using the Valentine hardwire kit, i traced the +12V center pin from the switched DC outlet (cigarette lighter receptacle) behind the lower glovebox, and tapped the hardwire adapter into that and then hooked up the ground to a screw in the chassis. As I recall there are blocks on either side of the glove box you can remove so it will swing down, giving you access under the dash behind.

I routed the power cable behind the lower glovebox, up the passenger-side A-pillar, across the headliner and out by the rearview mirror. The plastic trim over the A-pillar pulls off after you unscrew the two bolts on the handgrip (under the plastic covers on the handle). A thin, straightened-out coat hanger with one end bent into a loop helps push the cable through. You can pull-out the plastic compartment with the sunglasses holder and courtesy lights to pull-out the cable.

The cable supplied by Valentine is too short to reach, but it's the same as off-the-shelf telephone wire. Either cut-to-fit and crimp on your own RJ11 plugs, or buy the best size that will reach and hide the excess in the headliner (wrap in bubble wrap or foam to keep from making noise).

Cable-tie the V1 cable to the others going up the A-pillar, snap the cover back on and replace the handle. Make sure you don't cross-thread the screws. Cable-tie the wires under the dash -- you might need to stick on a few self-adhesive mounts for cable ties under there -- then replace the lower glove box and screw the blocks back in.

If you had to pull the courtesy lights, snap them back into place. (I didn't have to do this to mount the V1, but I did for the mic for my cellphone handsfree).

Sorry, no pics of the install, and only one pic showing it mounted (and not really a good one): http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qE ... directlink

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:53 pm

can it be hardwired by tapping into the power source from the cord that leads into the mirror for the homelink or the reading lights by the sunglasses cubby?
Last edited by GimmieSumMo72 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

GimmieSumMo72

Postby GimmieSumMo72 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:31 am

anyone try it?

hollywoodstylin

Postby hollywoodstylin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Don't know if you found the answer to this, but yes, people have been taking the power the power from the homelink mirror. Lots of them actual using the inviscord.

http://www.invisicord.com/

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”