Paint Interior Trim

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

falcondrgn
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 am
Location: New York City

Paint Interior Trim

Postby falcondrgn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:43 pm

Hello,

Has anyone here ever painted the interior trim of their pathys? For example parts of the dash, ac vents etc. If so what type of paint should I be using? and will the paint last in the sunlight during the summer or will it eventually fade?

Reason I'm asking is bc I purchased the Garmin dock for my pathfinder on ebay but they sent me the wrong color and instead of sending it back I thought of just painting the dock to match maybe the exterior of my truck or matching the paint of the rest of the interior. Thanks so much for your input.


User avatar
geoffstgermaine
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

Postby geoffstgermaine » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:55 pm

I painted over the ugly faux-wood trim on my LE. I used some Duplicolor paint marketed as interior trim paint with a gloss coat and a lot of sanding and polishing work to get it to look good.

falcondrgn
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 am
Location: New York City

Postby falcondrgn » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:23 pm

I am also using duplicolor but I opted to use rim paint to hopefully help withstand some of the heat during hot summers with my windows closed. I used 6 coats of color paint and 6 coats of clear coat. Is that overkill? Thanks for your input!

geoffstgermaine wrote:I painted over the ugly faux-wood trim on my LE. I used some Duplicolor paint marketed as interior trim paint with a gloss coat and a lot of sanding and polishing work to get it to look good.

User avatar
markspath
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm
Location: Rockaway, NJ

Postby markspath » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:40 pm

falcondrgn wrote:I used 6 coats of color paint and 6 coats of clear coat. Is that overkill?
I think that's enough to even withstand the harsh, remote conditions encountered in the Alaskan backwoods. ;-) However, with all that paint, I bet you lost 6 cubic inches of passenger space!

What color did you go with, and how about a photo?

falcondrgn
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 am
Location: New York City

Postby falcondrgn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:21 am

hahaha, I went with a metallic grey finish, being that the rest of my interior is grey I did not want to stray too far away from it otherwise it would look ricey. I will be installing the unit tomorrow, just got done painting and drying the dock today. I will post pics once everything is done! Thanks for your input!

MARKSPATH wrote:
falcondrgn wrote:I used 6 coats of color paint and 6 coats of clear coat. Is that overkill?
I think that's enough to even withstand the harsh, remote conditions encountered in the Alaskan backwoods. ;-) However, with all that paint, I bet you lost 6 cubic inches of passenger space!

What color did you go with, and how about a photo?

falcondrgn
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 am
Location: New York City

Postby falcondrgn » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:19 am


dunsho
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:42 am

Postby dunsho » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:43 am

i do not have permission to view your photo, according to flickr.

falcondrgn
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:38 am
Location: New York City

Postby falcondrgn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:23 am

Is there any other way I can post pics on here? Why doesnt this forum have post image capabilities?

dunsho wrote:i do not have permission to view your photo, according to flickr.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:59 pm

falcondrgn wrote:Is there any other way I can post pics on here? Why doesnt this forum have post image capabilities?

dunsho wrote:i do not have permission to view your photo, according to flickr.
The problem is that you are providing a link to another site, Flickr, but you have no photos marked for the general public (they must all be marked private). What you need to do is click on the photo you want us to see, click on all sizes, then copy the link below it called "2. Grab the photo's URL:" Then create a post here, paste the copied link into your message, but just make sure that you have "Image" after the link.

I'm including a photo that is marked private on my Flickr account, yet you can clearly see it here because of the link:

Image

If you click on the "quote" button near this message, you will be able to see how I formatted the picture's link.


Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”

cron