Is this an aftermarket radiator?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

HiBRiD109

Is this an aftermarket radiator?

Postby HiBRiD109 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:59 am

I picked up my first nissan path the other day. Its an 06 LE with 160k miles. It was very clean and kept really well. The guy I bought it from bought about 8 months ago but decided to sell it because he son preferred their jeep to drive instead (they had a few vehicles and toys).

When I brought it home, I planned on doing a bypass until I could replace the radiator with and aftermaket one. However, the radiator in the vehicle looks newer for a vehicle that is 11 years old. There was no grime or bent fins. There is no part number on the top of the tank. The engine bay looks like it has been serviced because the connectors have all been marked with dots or numbered with a paint marker. The 10mm bolt for the trans dip stick is also missing. The trans fluid is a nice clear red. I did some searching on here and members that have the same experiance were told that they were aftermarket. The rad cap say nissan but looks newer.

So what do you guys think? Is this an aftermarket? Should I just leave it alone or replace the radiator?

Top of radiator with no Calisonic sticker.
Trans dip stick with missing 10mm bolt.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm

It certainly looks like an aftermarket radiator. A Nissan radiator would have a Calsonic sticker in or near that rectangle on top of the tank, to the right of the cap. You would also see "NISSAN" molded into the top of the other side of the radiator tank (to the left of the cap).
As far as the dipstick bolt, that's no big deal. It's 6Mx1.0 thread and probably about 20-25MM long. You can get 6M bolts at any hardware store or auto parts store.

HiBRiD109

Postby HiBRiD109 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Ok, thanks. I can sleep better at night. As for the bolt, i'm not worried but thanks for the size, probably would have been in and out of the hardware store a few times to get the size right. I decided to pull the trigger and buy a Carfax report to try to get some more info on the service history. I managed to get the dealer that this vehicle was bought and serviced at for the first 6 years and 135k miles. Hopefully they can shed some light on what has been done so I can get a jump on what needs to be done now.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:55 pm

looks like the replacement radiator I just put in today :)
Nissan OEM value radiator.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”