rust

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

User avatar
danny
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:11 pm

rust

Postby danny » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Anybody experiencing thier roof rusting? My 05 is starting to rust b/w the sunroof and roof rack on the passenger side. Nissan dealer is trying to fight me on repairing it so they told me I need to contact headquarters. This should be fun. Plus the paint is flaking off the rain channels also. When I went to Nissan they had 08's on the lot and the roof channels were already cracking, so it's just a matter of time. Everyone keep an eye out for this problem, if enough of us complain maybe they will see its a problem and fix them. Thanks, Danny


G35TR
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:39 am
Location: NE Florida

Postby G35TR » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I haven't noticed anything fromt he roof, but check out my front end. The paint is literally falling off the front bumper. I plan on replacing the whole thing with a Frontier upper bumper, and shrockworks bumper, so it hasn't really bothered me, but definately should have it looked at.

Image

Npath
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: rust

Postby Npath » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:44 am

I got rust spots everywhere. Apparently it looks like spots of metal sticking to the paint. I've been scratching it off with my finger nails and it comes off. Seems a little high maintenance to stopping minor surface rust. I read somewhere it's from the metallic brake pads coming off and sticking to the side of the SUV.

As for the rain channel cracking up, been there and got if fixed under warranty. The dealership had both channel epoxy removed and reinstalled with fresh paint. I caught it last summer with over a 1 year factory warranty left. Cost of repair was just under $900 CAD.

If they won't fix it, for what it's worth, mention Morrey Nissan Burnaby, BC, Canada covered it under warranty in late June. They took pics of the cracks throughout the rain channel and sent it to Toronto head office.

I'm pretty sure the cause of the paint cracking and flaking away is because the epoxy gets soft and hardens again. Reason why I say this is I found the problem during the summer. I was able to dent the epoxy with my finger nail. It molded back after a minute.

User avatar
HillbillyJake
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:55 pm
Location: Pitcairn Pa.

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 am

I have a spot about the size of a quarter on the rear hatch up by the top side of the glass where the clear coat is pealing

me&pathy
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: California

Postby me&pathy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 pm

no rust, i make a it point to clay and wax it every month the paint is like glass. The hard ware for the roof rack is rusted though as is the trailer hitch but thats it.

User avatar
danny
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:11 pm

Postby danny » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:27 pm

I live in so florida and my vehicle is washed and waxed religiously. I think its rusting under the roofrack and spreading out. I have a call in to nissan and awaiting a call back. We'll see.

me&pathy
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:35 pm
Location: California

Postby me&pathy » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 pm

danny wrote:I live in so florida and my vehicle is washed and waxed religiously. I think its rusting under the roofrack and spreading out. I have a call in to nissan and awaiting a call back. We'll see.
rust is a bitch its happing to my toyota, its got yellow spots and its rusting. i have no clue how to get rid of rust.

User avatar
shv2sail
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Maryland

Postby shv2sail » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm

No body rust, but my Path's hitch had rust spots all over it right off the lot new.

Npath
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby Npath » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:32 pm

me&pathy wrote:
danny wrote:I live in so florida and my vehicle is washed and waxed religiously. I think its rusting under the roofrack and spreading out. I have a call in to nissan and awaiting a call back. We'll see.
rust is a bitch its happing to my toyota, its got yellow spots and its rusting. i have no clue how to get rid of rust.
Way I see it, gonna be high maintenance. I've heard the spots are coming from the metallic brake pads as they wear off, sticking to the body.

For now, to remove it, scratch it off with your finger nails. Another option is use Maguire's Scratch-X to buff out the spots.

CooperT
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Rust in the rear...

Postby CooperT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:17 am

I have some rust on the tailgate above the license plate on my 05 Path. Small knicks that are rusting. Not sure what would have caused them though.

User avatar
SilverGhost
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:23 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Rust in the rear...

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:38 am

CooperT wrote:I have some rust on the tailgate above the license plate on my 05 Path. Small knicks that are rusting. Not sure what would have caused them though.
If it's just around the edges of the long chrome plastic trim piece above the license plate, there's a TSB out on that. Sorry, but I don't have a link for it at the moment. Last I recall, Nissan was repairing PFs that had the problem. However, since most '05s are now out of warranty, not sure if yours would be covered.

Npath
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Re: Rust in the rear...

Postby Npath » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:13 am

SilverGhost wrote:
CooperT wrote:I have some rust on the tailgate above the license plate on my 05 Path. Small knicks that are rusting. Not sure what would have caused them though.
If it's just around the edges of the long chrome plastic trim piece above the license plate, there's a TSB out on that. Sorry, but I don't have a link for it at the moment. Last I recall, Nissan was repairing PFs that had the problem. However, since most '05s are now out of warranty, not sure if yours would be covered.
Isn't corrosion warranty 5 years, unlimited mileage?

User avatar
SilverGhost
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:23 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Rust in the rear...

Postby SilverGhost » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:58 am

Npath wrote:Isn't corrosion warranty 5 years, unlimited mileage?
Only for "perforation," not surface rust.

User avatar
Somber Goat
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:51 am
Location: Nashville, TN

Postby Somber Goat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:45 am

danny wrote:I live in so florida and my vehicle is washed and waxed religiously. I think its rusting under the roofrack and spreading out. I have a call in to nissan and awaiting a call back. We'll see.
Did you get any resolve on this?

I've got the same issue with the roof rack and the water drip rail area. Can't see it unless you 6+ feet tall but when i wash the truck you can see a long line of chipped paint thats starting to rust.

User avatar
danny
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:11 pm

Postby danny » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:04 pm

no.. nissan didn't seem to care. now i have paint falling off of the a pillar on the drivers side.


Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”

cron