Oil Change Interval

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

cruzstyle
Moderator
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Sumter, SC

Postby cruzstyle » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 am

heres some links

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/genera ... ected.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfil ... ecommended

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm

after reading all those and the post above the 3k-3m interval looks o really be a waste of money. im i die hard 3-3 follower but think im gonna get it tested to really find out. i run 0w30 mobil 1 FS and the tough guard. the TG is the only fram that is recommended for use. i used to run mobil 1 filters to but there expensive but if after my oil test it says to run the oil longer ill switch back seeing as to ill spend less money since im changing the oil less often so the money saved can go to better filters


webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:43 am

aren't the fram TG filters same $$ as the m1 ext perf ones?

cruzstyle
Moderator
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27 am
Location: Sumter, SC

Postby cruzstyle » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:42 pm

no, here the fram TG is 4.00 the mobil one is 11.00

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:53 pm

cruzstyle wrote:no, here the fram TG is 4.00 the mobil one is 11.00
oh wow. i swore i looked when they came out, and they were similar. i'll def check again next time. it sucks paying 11-13$ for a m1 filter. i know they're pretty good/reliable, but it just adds $$ to that oil changing cost, which shouldn't be much

WheatBread
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Little Rock, Ar

Postby WheatBread » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:19 am

has anyone found a larger filter that will fit on the R51? When i bought my first one back in March I was like "O Shit, this thing is tiny" the filter on my wife's old honda 4 cyl was bigger than the original size R51 filter and the filter on my 3.0 V6 is way larger. I would like to find one that will fit in ours that is bigger, I can't imagine these tiny filters being able to last 7500 miles and still filtering well

User avatar
deermjd
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:24 pm
Location: Birmingham, Alabama

Postby deermjd » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 am

WheatBread wrote:has anyone found a larger filter that will fit on the R51? When i bought my first one back in March I was like "O Shit, this thing is tiny" the filter on my wife's old honda 4 cyl was bigger than the original size R51 filter and the filter on my 3.0 V6 is way larger. I would like to find one that will fit in ours that is bigger, I can't imagine these tiny filters being able to last 7500 miles and still filtering well
I have noticed that too. My little Hyundai uses the same size filter as my Pathfinder. however, the diameter of the filter can very quite a bit between filter manufacturers. I have a mobil 1 on currently and it is much larger in diameter than some fram filters I have used before.

deezx5
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:59 am

Postby deezx5 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:43 am

WheatBread wrote:has anyone found a larger filter that will fit on the R51? When i bought my first one back in March I was like "O Shit, this thing is tiny" the filter on my wife's old honda 4 cyl was bigger than the original size R51 filter and the filter on my 3.0 V6 is way larger. I would like to find one that will fit in ours that is bigger, I can't imagine these tiny filters being able to last 7500 miles and still filtering well
I was shocked when I discovered that the filter wrench I have for my Focus is too large for the Pathfinder filter. Of course I didn't discover this until halfway thru the oil change laying under the Path :( I'm sticking with the factory recommended filter size but now I have 2 wrenches.

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:33 am

i still think the pathfinder's oil filter location is one of the most pain in the ass spots to get to. you have to go way under the vehicle & put your arm in a strange sideway direction to get the freakin thing out. i've hated this everytime i change my wifes oil. minor ..yes...but still a pain in the ass compared to cars i've done in the past :roll:

Rogue9
Posts: 120
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:10 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Postby Rogue9 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 am

I just ordered a Niagara Grey SE. 2 weeks and it'll be in my hands!
anyway, the dealership here is offering me a $500cdn lifetime oil change package.

every 3 months or few thousand kilometers (whichever comes first) I can have my oil changed.

Its probably regular old dino oil, but maybe the frequency of changes will make up for running synthetic as I have my other car for it's 9 years. Maybe throw in a bottle of lucas additive if I want to help the oil out.

Also all the car washes I want too. I'm gonna make them regret offering that package. =)

webmastir

Postby webmastir » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:53 am

Rogue9 wrote:Its probably regular old dino oil, but maybe the frequency of changes will make up for running synthetic
yep. for sure. seems like a good deal, depending on how much you drive your vehicle

skinny2
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: BFE, Ohio

Postby skinny2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:29 am

Rogue9 wrote:I just ordered a Niagara Grey SE. 2 weeks and it'll be in my hands!
anyway, the dealership here is offering me a $500cdn lifetime oil change package.

every 3 months or few thousand kilometers (whichever comes first) I can have my oil changed.

Its probably regular old dino oil, but maybe the frequency of changes will make up for running synthetic as I have my other car for it's 9 years. Maybe throw in a bottle of lucas additive if I want to help the oil out.

Also all the car washes I want too. I'm gonna make them regret offering that package. =)
Keep in mind the reason they sell or in a lot of cases give away these oil change/car wash deals is to keep you coming through the door. Since you're there for an oil change they can up-sell you other stuff or at the very least you'll likely get the normal maintenance performed there.

It may be a good deal....but you're also pre-paying for something WELL in advance. Assuming a dealership oil change is around $35 there (most around here are $25 at the dealer) you've got to hit 14 oil changes just to break even. Depending on how much you drive that could be several years worth of them sitting on your cash.

One other thing...read the fine print and don't just rely on what the guy tells you. Clarify the miles and time in writing! My family used to own a dealership and many of these programs were under-written by outside sources. There's a reason they like selling these things...odds are they'll make more money on you in the long run. You're basically guaranteeing them business going forward and you won't have a choice if their service sucks. I personally would never do this but I rarely have time to mess around with dealers and in the case of my PF i've never been back.

User avatar
SPICOLI
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Canada

Postby SPICOLI » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I wish my dealership charged $25 for an oil change. The dealers in Vancouver won't even look at you for less than $39.99 plus taxes. Heaven forbid you want synthetic. That oil change will run you around $79.99 or more. That's why I do it myself.....


Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”

cron