Soft brake pedal.

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Scooby

Soft brake pedal.

Postby Scooby » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi newby here wondering if anyone can help

My 2009 pathy has a softish pedal. If I pump the pedal with engine off its fine. If I press pedal when driving brakes are there but pedal goes about half way down. If when driving I pump pedal twice I get a good pedal that holds till I release pedal then soft again.

Sorry if its a bit wordy or been asked before. Just a bit unsure what to try and mot time is looming.

Thanks for any help Ian.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:29 pm

That sounds pretty typical for an R51 Pathfinder/D40 Frontier. As long as it's not bleeding down to the floor while you apply steady pressure to the brake pedal, the brake warning light is not on and there are no leaks in the system, chances are that's the way it's supposed to be. A lot of people complain about the stock brakes.
There are a few options available. I forget who offers it, but there is a company that sells a revised master cylinder for these vehicles to improve the feel. Some people claim that replacing the brake hoses with stainless steel, braided brake hoses helps, somewhat. Another option for those with the V6 is to do a V8 brake swap. This doesn't necessarily help the feel, but it does increase the braking performance. All that is needed are front brake rotors, brake calipers w/ mounting brackets and pads from a 2008-2012 Pathfinder V8. The front brakes on the V8 are 1" larger and will work so long as you have 17" or larger wheels.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 pm

There are some shops in Colorado that sell Titan brake booster kits. Paired with braided brake lines would help.

Fatbobs Garage
Offroad Gorilla
check them out

Scooby

Postby Scooby » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks guys.

Pedal has been good for last 9 years or so just last week or so it’s dropped.

Will try its test and take it from there.

ðŸ‘

palmerwmd
Site Admin

Postby palmerwmd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 am

Scooby wrote:Thanks guys.

Pedal has been good for last 9 years or so just last week or so it’s dropped.

Will try its test and take it from there.

ðŸ‘
if you feel its dropping recently check your brake fluid level. cold temps and lowish level can make for longer travel

Graham W

Postby Graham W » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:33 am

Mines always been soft on the pedal. Had the system bled, new pads all round which made a very slight difference for about a week, then back to Mr softy!

So ive accepted this is the way it is. Ive had the system checked properly, no leaks. The discs are all good and all passed the MOT.

Scooby

Postby Scooby » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks guys.

Going to go through them again at weekend.

Then mot test with fingers crossed ðŸ˜

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”