Front right suspension knock

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering

Moderator: volvite

Armourerdoug

Front right suspension knock

Postby Armourerdoug » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:25 am

Noticed a fast knocking sound from front right today when driving on our countries patchwork repaired roads.
I can’t Hear anything if I bounce the front of the car up and down by hand . Car has done 60,000 miles sounds to me like an anti roll bar bush or the like. Is this something any of you have had with your cars? And if so what was it?
I am thinking it’s the anti roll bar drop link as it seems a little to easy to move by hand .

Many thanks
Doug

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 am

Is it more pronounced when you make a right turn? I had the same issue and it ended up being a bad rotor.

Armourerdoug

Postby Armourerdoug » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:38 am

No, it’s the same turning , well goes a little quieter as am going slower when turning, but it sounds to me like a top shock mount ( but not noisy enough) so probably the drop link, will look on Sunday . Just wondered if this was a common think.
I do need new front rotors soon as they are down about 70%

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:57 am

Armourerdoug wrote: I do need new front rotors soon as they are down about 70%
You mean pads. The rotors could probably use a turning too.

Armourerdoug

Postby Armourerdoug » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:55 pm

No I need rotors as they are wearing down to within 30% of the limit and of course I would replace the pads at the same time :lol:

Armourerdoug

Postby Armourerdoug » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:38 am

So I replaced the drop links today, all nice and easy and cheap to buy even here in the UK 8)
But it has not cured the knocking , seems a little quieter though ( the ones I took off were way too easy to move by hand so did need replacing ) so I have found and ordered the anti roll bar ( Sway bar rubber bushes, to try those next ( nice and cheap ) and update this thread as I go.

Armourerdoug

Postby Armourerdoug » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:21 am

So , I tried to replace the sway bar bushes today, forget that, the left side rear bolt can not be accessed with normal tools I even ground down a 5/8†socket but it still fouled by steering rack, may have to move the rack first , so that will be another day 🤔

Armourerdoug

Postby Armourerdoug » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:42 am

Sway bar bushes done, were a little worn and soft, but still have knock, been over all joints etc and can see or hear no movements/knocks etc so am assuming some wear on bottom ball joint, will do that next, have ordered it and both rubber bushes for the lower wishbone .
Will let you guys know when it’s done and if it cures the knocking shound

Return to “R52 Suspension and steering”