CONSULT II ECM Data with Nissan DataScan II

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

CONSULT II ECM Data with Nissan DataScan II

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 pm

Discovered we can in fact get CONSULT ECM data via OBD II readers while troubleshooting my VVT actuation following my latest timing chain fix :-D

You will need the app from the Google Play store:

Http://nissandatascan.com

And an OBD II reader that has an ELM327 chip in it. There are some out there that don’t work (possibly not truly ELM327 chips from China); I got lucky with a cheap one from Amazon that worked right away:

“obdator Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner ELM327 Automotive OBD OBDII Code Reader Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android PC†https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DWH8JR/re ... iEb944HPKN

The NDS website says it’s not compatible with the R51, but I gave it a short and it does in fact work with the VQ40DE. I contacted them and they said the ones they didn’t get it to work with were other market models with different engines or ECU’s (and they’d update their website). So, hooray for US market R51’s!

What do you get with this? All of the ECM data fields listed in the FSM for CONSULT data. In my case I was able to see cam phasing (degrees of advance or retardation) and solenoid actuation in real time. Can’t do that with just OBD II data by itself.

Total cost for the app and a scanner is less than $25. Worth it! :-D

ssobol

Re: CONSULT II ECM Data with Nissan DataScan II

Postby ssobol » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:42 am

ShipFixer wrote:Discovered we can in fact get CONSULT ECM data via OBD II readers while troubleshooting my VVT actuation following my latest timing chain fix :-D

So which version of Nissan DataScan did you get to work?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:03 pm

You want Nissan DataScan II. Emulates CONSULT II.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 pm

Stuff I am seeing with live CONSULT data: VVT is only active once coolant temps are above ~130 degrees F. After that, cams will advance when you are on the gas and the engine gets a lot smoother 8)

I'm also seeing charging system voltage and other things that could come in really handy for troubleshooting later.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:58 am

Sample screen shot from this morning: EVAP data and cam timing. I'm on the gas so both cams are nearly fullly advanced (forty degrees out of phase with mechanical timing).

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:13 am

And another when only one cam was advancing:

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:56 am

Oh by the way...NDS has a button to do Idle Air Volume Learn... 8)

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:11 pm

Just tested it - NDS II will perform idle air volume learn. My idle was a little high before (procedure last performed by Nissan in 2011), now it's 650 +/-25 RPM.

Follow the instructions in EC-77 in the service manual. I didn't turn off the A/C the first time I tried and it didn't work. Vehicle (engine and transmission) must be warm, all service loads off.

For what it's worth, I couldn't get the pedal method to work on my truck back in 2011 either...

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm

This is awesome thank you so much for sharing I am going to try it next.

Da_Q-ban_1

Re: CONSULT II ECM Data with Nissan DataScan II

Postby Da_Q-ban_1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:36 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Discovered we can in fact get CONSULT ECM data via OBD II readers while troubleshooting my VVT actuation following my latest timing chain fix :-D

And an OBD II reader that has an ELM327 chip in it. There are some out there that don’t work (possibly not truly ELM327 chips from China); I got lucky with a cheap one from Amazon that worked right away:

“obdator Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner ELM327 Automotive OBD OBDII Code Reader Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android PC†https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DWH8JR/re ... iEb944HPKN
Would also work with TCM DTCs such as the P1731?

I would like to try and further diag the above code using pages the diag procedures outlined in pages 143 and 144 of the following A/T PDF file:
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/AUTOMO ... der/at.pdf

I created a post earlier today asking if anyone else has seen this code P1731. It is the only TCM related code my pathy is showing. It would be awesome if I can use DataScanII and the OBD scanner you mentioned above to finish diag on my pathy.

Thanks in advance!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:00 pm

Unfortunately I think it is only getting ECM data. It doesn't get transmission, ABS, or other data right now. I will look for TCM data on my commute in the morning and see if it's able to pull something that looks like ATF pressure for you.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:18 am

Just tried the lite version and everything worked fine. My Pathfinder has alot of issues. I need a new cat so I was able to see the o2 sensor voltages and confirm bad cat

I would really want something to read abs codes as its more sensitive and my light is always on.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Just checked - ECM codes only. Can always ask the developers if they're going to break more codes over time via their website.

CONSULT data isn't encrypted or anything, it's just using undesignated OBD2 signals to send additional data beyond the required data set. Someone took the time to pick through it with the FSM and identify them. Figuring out the other modules' OBD2 codes is just a matter of [someone else's] time.

Da_Q-ban_1

Postby Da_Q-ban_1 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:13 am

Thanks your checking into this. I'm curious, which model of that cheap scanner specifically did you buy? For 13-15 bucks that's a steal, even if it provides a little more data than regular scan tool.

Thupertrooper wrote:Just tried the lite version and everything worked fine. My Pathfinder has alot of issues. I need a new cat so I was able to see the o2 sensor voltages and confirm bad cat

I would really want something to read abs codes as its more sensitive and my light is always on.
Mine also has a bunch of codes... I just erased them all yesterday. We'll see which ones come back. I too may need a new cat.
Yesterday as I waited for mechanic to come back from lunch I popped into a muffler shop in Mesa. He lifted the pathy, scanned her and confirmed I need new cats.. P0430 (not sure what others.. when I scanned it I only saw the one) and proceeded to quote me $500 for replacing both cats. But here's the interesting part, he said I needed the back ones (closer to the exhaust), which he called "backburners/burn-backs" or something along those lines.
Aren't these what's known as the downstream cats?
And if so, shouldn't the ones being replaced be the upstream cats (closer to manifold)?
Or am I incorrect, and does the code P0430 refer to the bank 2 cat, which IS the downstream cat on the driver side...?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am

Here's the one I used:

obdator Mini Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner ELM327 Automotive OBD OBDII Code Reader Car Check Engine Light Diagnostic Scan Tool for Android PC

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074DWH8JR/ ... pEbZXR8F3S

Apparently only works for Android, but there are others that will work with iPhone. Apparently there are other cheap readers that claim to have an ELM327 chip but don't.

For reference, I have a more expensive BlueDriver scanner that goes with its own app, and it does not have an ELM327. Had to get the other one.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”