OME Suspension Upgrade FINISHED

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:52 am

Fofiddy wrote: This is after going with the OME or with the tires?
Tires.


User avatar
Simon B
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Dubai UAE

Postby Simon B » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:36 am

blink32 wrote: You could remove the front guard deal. I'm pretty sure it's not rubbing on the actual mud flap (the one on the rear of the front wheel wells), it rubs on the outer edges of the small piece mounted below the front bumper. Lower air dam I guess this is. Either way it BARELY catches and it would be easily remedied by trimming and inch or less of the insides of the flap.
Thanks Blink, it hadn't even occurred to me the tires would be catching the front air dam. I'll probably just remove the whole thing as i've already lost the centre section anyway. I'll keep you all posted how I get on.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:10 pm

Simon B wrote:Thanks Blink, it hadn't even occurred to me the tires would be catching the front air dam.
Hey, No problem Simon. Now I have 2 questions for you. Over in the UAE do you drive on the Right or the Left hand side? I'm pretty sure its the Right like in Saudi. And if it is on hte right do you happen to have the Xenon/HID lights? In the US they weren't an option and some of us here are extremely interested in finding out what parts we need to retrofit our Halogens with Xenon.

Tony

User avatar
Simon B
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:16 pm
Location: Dubai UAE

Postby Simon B » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:26 pm

blink32 wrote: Over in the UAE do you drive on the Right or the Left hand side? I'm pretty sure its the Right like in Saudi. And if it is on hte right do you happen to have the Xenon/HID lights? In the US they weren't an option and some of us here are extremely interested in finding out what parts we need to retrofit our Halogens with Xenon.
We drive on the Right over here which took a bit of getting used to, i'm from the UK so I was always walking to the passenger side door at first!!

Unfortunately the Pathys out here don't come with HID. Because the market here is so small you don't get to choose the options, the dealer will just order a number of cars in various colours/specs and you just choose the one that's closest to what you're after. In fact the Pathy we get is a slightly lower spec than the equivalent US model, we don't get the traction/stability control or the BOSE stereo which is a shame

I imagine the best place to get the HID lights from would be the UK for ease of ordering although you'd pay slightly over the odds as everything there is expensive. I'm certain all the UK cars with HID lights have a switch on the light unit itself that allows the beam pattern to switch between left and right hand drive in case you drive in Europe. That was certainly the case on both a Land Rover and a VW I owned. I'll make a few enquires and let you know.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:02 am

Simon B wrote: We drive on the Right over here which took a bit of getting used to, i'm from the UK so I was always walking to the passenger side door at first!!

Unfortunately the Pathys out here don't come with HID. Because the market here is so small you don't get to choose the options, the dealer will just order a number of cars in various colours/specs and you just choose the one that's closest to what you're after. In fact the Pathy we get is a slightly lower spec than the equivalent US model, we don't get the traction/stability control or the BOSE stereo which is a shame

I imagine the best place to get the HID lights from would be the UK for ease of ordering although you'd pay slightly over the odds as everything there is expensive. I'm certain all the UK cars with HID lights have a switch on the light unit itself that allows the beam pattern to switch between left and right hand drive in case you drive in Europe. That was certainly the case on both a Land Rover and a VW I owned. I'll make a few enquires and let you know.
Thats pretty beat on the options part. But if it turns out that there is a switch on the xenons, man o man will you be a giant help. The main reason for staying away from the UK versions was the fact the lights would be aimed for right hand drive as opposed to left.

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:50 am

I know this is a bit off topic, but this thread seems to be taking all sorts of tangents, so I guess it will fit right in. I had posted earlier about a local company by the name of Rocky Mountain Outfitters. I mainly expressed interest in them because they carry all the OME parts, but I noticed on their site that they also sell fabricated accessories. To make a long story short, they manufacture rock rails/sliders, but do not make them for the '05-07 Pathfinder...yet. I was finally contacted by the guy who does all their fabrication. He's out of the country until the end of April, but he said to contact him in May to drive my Pathfinder up to their shop for a couple of days for R&D. What this means for me is a free set of sliders. What this means for everyone else is just one more great accessory for their Pathfinder. I'll start a thread for it once I get to the point of dropping off my vehicle in May or so, including a few photos of course.

This will be a huge boon to me as I can't stand side steps/running boards, especially cheap & flimsy ones that offer no real protection in case something happens. I've wanted to remove them, but figure it's better to have minimal protection as opposed to none at all. I'll find out for sure the first week of April, as I will be taking my annual Death Valley trip, which includes lots of off highway sightseeing.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:00 pm

Nice. Definitely post more when you find out what the deal is.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:40 pm

A side shot of it now that I've let it settle in.

Image

User avatar
NVSteve
Sponsored Member
Posts: 1985
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:27 am
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby NVSteve » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Looking good. If you get the chance in another week or so, could you re-measure? I'm wondering how much it will settle after a bit of break in.

User avatar
Fofiddy
Moderator
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: New England

Postby Fofiddy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Blink have there been any changes in driving impressions etc since everything has settled? Path looks great.

User avatar
Fofiddy
Moderator
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: New England

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:40 am

blink32 wrote:I got the LT rated ones. Keep them at 36 psi pretty religously and you got it at the 32.7. I didn't notice any loss of ride quality or anything but I did notice more bump steer and the tendancy for the tires to follow ruts and cupping in the road more because of the increased width.
Blink due to the ride/steering feel I've encountered by going with a 31.6"LT I've done some more digging as to the PSI land load ratings.
It I for one am running my tires too low at 40psi despite the 35psi max on the door jam. Here is an article I found on Toyo's site, it's a little fun to translate since it written in Ja-nglish but the info is a good start:
http://www.toyojapan.com/tires/pdf/Infl ... essure.pdf I'm still looking for the chart that describes the weight range/reccomended PSI for each tire, but rough guestamate says I should be running 44psi. I'm going to navagate a mixed test route and bump up the pressure and see what changes (fuel eco, ride quality steering responce) Since you stated earlier that your running at 36psi you might be underinflating those tires, just a heads up.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:00 am

I'll have to try that out. Bump it up to 40 and test then bump and test.

User avatar
Fofiddy
Moderator
Posts: 422
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: New England

Postby Fofiddy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:52 am

For ha-has I bumped it to 50psi figure I could dial it in from there. WOW what a difference steering has lightened up and the path has become allot more playful. Steering is light and crisp again although the ride is still stiff it's more amicable than at 35 or 40psi. I'm still a little concerned about it beating up my suspension but I'll take it around the local reservoir later this morning to see how bad it is on poor road surfaces. I should take the dog with me to see if it induces vomiting again, poor guy.

Blink I'd start at anywhere between 45-50psi since I think the size you have only comes in a D-load (8ply) and since it's designed to bear around 3170 at 65 PSI. I couldn't find any load-inflation for your tires (or mine for that matter) so it's a rough guess. Let me know how it goes.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:43 am

NVSteve wrote:Looking good. If you get the chance in another week or so, could you re-measure? I'm wondering how much it will settle after a bit of break in.
Sorry, didn't see this post. I should be able to remeasure the heights today and post.

User avatar
blink32
Sponsored Member
Posts: 866
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:38 am
Location: World Traveler

Postby blink32 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:45 am

Fofiddy wrote: Blink I'd start at anywhere between 45-50psi since I think the size you have only comes in a D-load (8ply) and since it's designed to bear around 3170 at 65 PSI. I couldn't find any load-inflation for your tires (or mine for that matter) so it's a rough guess. Let me know how it goes.
I have no idea why I didn't think about this before. I've been doing a lot of research on Truck Campers and have since learned more than I ever wanted to know about tires, wheels, loads and psi but of course, it never dawned on my that I should modify the pressure on my Pathy tires. :-/ I imaging going up to at-least 45 will help with a lot of the tracking I have been feeling.


Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”