Proper cross rail installation?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Junior

Proper cross rail installation?

Postby Junior » Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:20 am

I know there's a few threads regarding the stock Nissan cross rails for the Pathy but I can't seem to find an answer to my particular question, and I don't see anything in the owners manual.

I was putting the rails on last night for the first time since I purchased my '08 and I notice that the cross rails are tapered, meaning one edge is fatter than the other.
So, which edge (fat vs. thin) should be facing the front of the vehicle? I can only assume that installing one way versus the other is going to create a little extra drag and likely some annoying wind noise, no?

Thoughts?

HillbillyJake

Postby HillbillyJake » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:43 am

if you bought a set of crossbars they only fit one way in end brackets. there is a right and left end bracket. I had to buy a set for my truck also. if I remember correctly the fat end goes towards the front. if I get a chance I will look this afternoon

macbell7

Postby macbell7 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 am

i can't remember , but simple aerodynamics should apply to this. much like an airplane wing the fat side is in front and tapers small to the back. if that doesnt work for you just find another one riding around and see how they have theirs in.

bbermann

Postby bbermann » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:52 am

I just went out and looked. The airplane wing analogy is correct. The crossbar is tapered to a point in the back.

Junior

Postby Junior » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks all.
Installed and tested at highway speeds....no wind noise to speak of.

Appreciate the help! 8)

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”