Rear Glass Window

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

socal4x

Rear Glass Window

Postby socal4x » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:27 pm

The rear glass on my lift gate has broken off at the hinges. Has this happened to anybody else?

It seems like an easy fix, just new hinges. I am wondering if it would be covered under Nissan's Platinum extended warranty??? I have 38k+ miles.

If anybody else had it covered under warranty, can you post the dealer name/info?

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:27 am

UPDATE:

Let me start by saying I am thoroughly pissed...To the point of not wanting anything to do with Nissan now...

The hinge part is $45 plus tax....But I purchased the Nissan Security Plus Gold extended warranty, no deductible to 100,000 miles. According to the brochure, misc. body parts, hinges, seals, etc. are covered...the brochure even says the coverage is so complete, only maintenance items are excluded...My local dealer says only major powertrain items are covered...I called Nissan customer service, and the warranty department, and they are telling me it has to be worked out through a local dealer....and they don't know if the part is covered....WTF???

And, what really set me off is the salesman at the dealership, who caught me as I was walking away...."Maybe you should consider upgrading to a new vehicle sir?"

Suliman

Postby Suliman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:18 am

Is the
Nissan Security Plus Gold extended warranty
through another 3rd party company to Nissan? Do you have the number for that warranty dept?

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:02 pm

you should call up the warranty company and ask them wtf is going on. and if they cannot fix it then give you your money back for not rendering the service the contract outlined.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:28 pm

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:you should call up the warranty company and ask them wtf is going on. and if they cannot fix it then give you your money back for not rendering the service the contract outlined.
I agree here.. you are paying for extra warranty service. You can cancel and get a pro rated return if they will not work with you. You should have told that salesman to shove it..

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 pm

The thing that P-s me off the most is the total disregard for customer service...over a $45 part...this is a principle thing, not a money thing.

Its one thing if they said..."Sir, this is a tough time for our dealership...parts are expensive, hard to come by, etc..."

---But that was not what happened...it was sorry, its not covered, you're a tool for buying the warranty, our sh&t doesn't stink...see ya!

...and it is a Nissan warranty...when I called them, they could care less.

So, today, I have worked it out with a different dealership -- kudos to Keyes Nissan. The service manager told me, after I explained my situation, that the way it works is the part is not specifically "listed" as being covered...but its not specifically exempted either, like brake pads, tires, glass, etc...So its at the discretion of individual dealers. So as a token of good will, and the interest of maintaining me as a customer, they, Keyes Nissan, agreed to cover the repair.

You can bet, however, that I will be taking this up with Nissan -- if I can find someone who cares over there...How can all kinds of esoteric bolts, seals, hinges, handles, and fasteners be covered, but this particular hinge is not? -- plain Stupid.

I really like this car, and my lease terminates in June'10. I plan on keeping it, or upgrading to a '10 if the deal is right...but this kind of thing really raises concerns...I deal with Ford alot for company cars (and wifes car), and they bend over backwards to service me -- they don't make anything even close to comparable to the Pathfinder.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:17 pm

can you take a pic of the broken hinge and put it on here for us to see. I am very curious of how this became of.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:28 am

KEVSTER wrote:can you take a pic of the broken hinge and put it on here for us to see. I am very curious of how this became of.
You read my mind!

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Yes! I will take photos!

Right now I have the window rigged shut with duct tape (it rained last week) and it is latched. The part is "on emergency order" from the dealer. When I get back to them I will open the hatch on take the pics.

It looks as though part of the problem is the screw that goes into the latch stripped out, and when I opened the glass, it torqued the hinge enough to break it....I'm just hoping the other is fine...kind of a crappy system, I'm surprised this hasn't happened to anyone else.

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:41 am

seems one or two vehicles will have a problem with something out of the ordinary.

socal4x

Postby socal4x » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:30 am

So it is now fixed...

However, when I went to the dealer to get it done, the service advisor was off that day and had either taken the paperwork with him, or placed it somewhere...I had to deal with the same bs again...even though I had an appointment...

When I showed up in the bay, they brought out the lead tech who climbed up on the bumper and looked at it and said "we'll just put a new bolt in there...50 cents, problem solved..." so I get my flashlight, go back up on the bumper and show him...look, the threads in there are stripped flat, and the hinge is sheared on one side...how can you not see that?...You are the LEAD tech? Great!

After some debate, it was agreed that the hinge will be replaced...unfortunately, in the mix of things, I forgot to take photos! Damn.

....Also, when I went back to pick up the vehicle, the service advisor tells me the original paperwork somehow "showed up".

I have owned cars from every major manufacturer, and they are all the same. I was hoping up to this point Nissan would be different....please please please ask me to take a survey!

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:55 am

This is a Nissan dealer? This sounds like "Bob's Garage". The fact that there is no computer where the service orders live, is not good. Find another dealer.

I also got an extended warranty on my Pathy when I bought it. The first time I brought it in for Warranty work, they tried to charge me. It turns out that the original Power Train warranty was listed first, and they had to go to the next screen, or something to see the extended warranty. Once they found it in the computer, it was no problem.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”