Best Air Filter for Fuel Economy?

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Ninjaman

Best Air Filter for Fuel Economy?

Postby Ninjaman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:21 am

Hi guys, new to the forum, but not new to the Pathfinder. I bought my '05 LE 2WD a few years ago. It's charcoal grey with the tan leather interior. It's been an excellent vehicle in every way. It has just under 70k miles on it now, and is still a solid and dependable ride.

My ONLY complaint is that I wish it got better mileage!!! I just serviced the thing yesterday and it is time for an air filter. I got to thinking there has to be a better filter than these stock ones??? So I found this forum and figured you guys could help me out. I'm a motorcycle rider, and over the years I've joined many forums for various bikes. I have always been impressed with the knowledge one can gain from a community such as this.

So is there any one filter that could help my fuel economy? Is there anything at all I can do to get some better mileage out of this beast. About 15mpg city is all she's good for, and my V8 Silverado can do that. I am starting to drive the Nissan more and a few more MPG would help my wallet out for sure. Any suggestions? Thanks...........

myriad46

Postby myriad46 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:01 am

I am sure you'll get some mixed response out of this question. Something to the effect of, "I can get 19mpg around town. All I did is put in a K&N filter and use premium gas."

I am not sure how they are driving, but I have a feeling it's no more than 1200 rpm and down hill.

I have tried Premium, Super and Regular to the same result. I have a K&N filter, which also had no effect. I get about 15 on my daily drive and 20-21 on the highway.

It gets the same mileage as your Silverado, because it can tow as much as your Silverado, but you have a back seat. Be proud! Tow a boat, uphill and revel in the fact, that it feels like normal driving.

It could be worse, you could have a Durango. They only get 10-12 (that's less than the 8L V-10 in the Viper gets, btw).

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:43 am

LOL, 1200 RPM downhill eh??? 8)

I hear ya, I'll drop a WIX filter in and be done with it for now. Maybe a K&N on down the road if the urge hits me.

I do love the Pathfinder, and that V6 is stout. The first time I drove one I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Mine is rock stock, but I'd like to personalize it a little.

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:46 am

Oh yeah, as far as the Durango goes, I know all about the Dodges and fuel mileage. LOL :shock: I had a full sized V8 Ram, and I just shook my head in disbelief everytime I calculated fuel mileage. I think it took a gallon of fuel just to crank it. :lol:

KEVSTER

Postby KEVSTER » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Have you tried synthetic motor oil? may help some. I use the Castrol Syntec blend, seems to work fine for me. I have never been obsessed with fuel mileage. And Welcome to this Forum. :wink:

Ninjaman

Postby Ninjaman » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:49 am

KEVSTER wrote:Have you tried synthetic motor oil? may help some. I use the Castrol Syntec blend, seems to work fine for me. I have never been obsessed with fuel mileage. And Welcome to this Forum. :wink:
I use Mobil 1 religiously in all my rides. :) Don't know if it helps fuel economy or not though!

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum, I am sure I will enjoy it a lot.

mar1
Sponsored Member

Postby mar1 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:12 pm

come to the middle east
fuel cheaper than pepsi here ... :mrgreen:

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”