Solid rear axle conversion (in the works)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

Solid rear? Good idea or bad idea?

Good
72%
Bad
28%

Total votes: 29

Shinyboy

Postby Shinyboy » Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Those mounts look like they'd be pretty easy to fab up if you couldn't find any to steal somewhere. :idea:

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue May 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Shinyboy wrote:Those mounts look like they'd be pretty easy to fab up if you couldn't find any to steal somewhere. :idea:
Yeah they would be, but if somebody else makes them and they fail i can blame them! :D

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu May 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Pulled my rear diff out today to see how bad it is and as you can see the spiders are chewed up.

As of now this is my plan... I dont think i'm going to use the solid axle i have cause there is NO aftermarket for the C200K yet. So i will be looking into the M226 rear end and continue to collect the rest of the parts i need for the swap.

On another note the worlds first front wheel drive pathy.....well sort of not gonna try it.

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Fri May 28, 2010 11:59 am

I am curious... why? Are there benefits to running a solid rear axle? Are you doing it for a specific need or use? Maybe it is a 4X4 thing?
I always thought that having an independent rear axle on the R51 was one of the big highlights.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri May 28, 2010 2:56 pm

BMXPath wrote:I am curious... why? Are there benefits to running a solid rear axle? Are you doing it for a specific need or use? Maybe it is a 4X4 thing?
I always thought that having an independent rear axle on the R51 was one of the big highlights.
Its a 4X4 thing for me and it will ride more like a truck which i dont mind. Thats why all them Xterra guys want a solid axle up front as well. I know i could just get an Xterra, but theres a problem with that and that is its not my Pathfinder. I'm suprised it hasn't been done already.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Fri May 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Doing a SAS on the rear of our PF can be done with out that much work. I would love to have a SAS front and rear Pathfinder.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Fri May 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Captain Smoke Eater wrote:Doing a SAS on the rear of our PF can be done with out that much work. I would love to have a SAS front and rear Pathfinder.
Yes it can and from what i can tell all the brake stuff can be bolted to the C200K axle. I hope its the same with the M226 axle.... Yeah the SAS for the front will be tempting when i finish rear. :idea: Why don't you go get yourself a solid axle and if your budget is better than mine you will get done alot faster!
Last edited by GOTGOO on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sat May 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Im not going to mod the PF till I have another DD. I have a 04 Xterra that would be nice to SAS the front.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sat May 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Whats wrong with the X you cant use it as a DD?

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Sun May 30, 2010 8:27 am

X is the wifes SUV, I have the PF. When it comes time She will get a new car first and the X will be for beating up and doing chores.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Sun May 30, 2010 10:26 am

I guess she needs a new car then!

NISLO

Postby NISLO » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:59 pm

the C200 and M226 Brake parts should all be the same
Those front fame mounts may be available separate from the frame from nissan so check your dealer. I know they are available for the pathfinders at the front of the rear suspension crossmember. I would love to get your entire rear suspension off your hands. I am looking to put the path IRS under my frontier. I have an M226 not e-locking with 2wd ratio (forget what it is off the top of my head). I wouldn't be looking to get rid of the M226 until the IRS project is done. As for the SAS on a pathy rear, should be cake. Haha maybe you should cut the backhalf of your frame off and I'll do the same then we can swap em. Andy should have told me about your project.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Well its on hold now untill i pay off the new rear (IRS)diff i bought since i couldnt be without a ride. I'm now exploring all options since nobody makes anything for the one i have so we will see where that goes. As for the mounts i'm gonna get the ones posted before from ballistic fabrication. No swapping i'm not gonna sell it so i have a fall back plan. I have a dana 44 front axle with locking hubs if i ever get the rear done!

rragpaoa

Postby rragpaoa » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:02 pm

I wanted to SAS my rear as well. Still thinking about it. If so, I was going to go with Currie Enterprises since they are making a rear axle for the Titan and Xterra/Frontier. See here: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-e ... r-end.html

Currie can cut the length to any length you want and fabricate any mount points. They will also match the tone rings. You have an option of Dana or Ford axles.

Since your objective is building an off roading rig, The SAS is the best setup. Other options (and cheaper):

1. Replace the rear R200 with the beefier R230 and ARB Lock it, get extended reservoir shocks, and you have a rear that has 10.5" wheel travel and lockable. This should take you through most places a good solid axle setup can do.

2. Get the Armada UCA/LCA, ARB Lock it, and get extended reservoir shocks for that. Based on my calculations, we can get up to 13-14" travel.

For rock crawling, SAS it.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:31 pm

Well i think you should cause i'm dead in the water with work being slow so this project is way on the back burner till i have more funds comming in. The armada rear susp. would be cool to look at the H1 it goes almost anywhere and has IRS. Atleast theres an option out there now for a good solid rear in the right ratio! By the way you have really nice rig wish i had that setup, but i'm just a poor 22yr old.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”