Chrysler vehicles now have LIFETIME WARRANTIES

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Just_Visiting

Chrysler vehicles now have LIFETIME WARRANTIES

Postby Just_Visiting » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:26 am

I've owned my Pathy for a year now with 11000 miles. Chrysler's offer makes we want to go check out Jeep Grand Cherokees. My boss has one and it looks good...sounds good...nice interior. Don't get me wrong, I love my Pathy, but that's gonna be hard offer for other manufacturers to match.

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:04 am

Yeah, I saw the new flash about the warrantee and was already looking at getting a wrangler unlimited with my discount. I just can't find a rubicon. The wife will still keep the Pathy, but I need to replace the Saab and want something that will go in the willy-waks. A few guys from work go to the pines on the weekends and I want to get my little guy into the outdoors. I used to have a grand cherokee, but it was used and always broke on special occasions. Ex. wifes birthday(crank sensor), house closing(starter), day after honeymoon(bad ground), lunch(fuel pump). it was costing more than the payments at the end. Granted it was a '94 that was 8 years old at the time.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:18 am

LIFETIME is only for engine , transmission and differentials .... wont cover all the other stuff that will break !! I guess it would be an OK deal if you plan on keeping it forever ....

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:38 am

Is it transferrable like a normal warranty? I can't imagine it would be, that would be some serious long term expense, eventually right up there with the big US automaker's healthcare costs :roll:

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:54 pm

RacerZX wrote:Is it transferrable like a normal warranty? I can't imagine it would be, that would be some serious long term expense, eventually right up there with the big US automaker's healthcare costs :roll:
+1 to that

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:34 am

Yup, non-transferrable, and not all cars, no SRT and no Diesel, lame. from their online FAQ:

NEW CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY CUSTOMERS -- Q&A
* Q1: How do I know if I’m covered by the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
* A1: You’re covered if you’re the first registered vehicle owner (purchased on or after July 26, 2007) – retail or lease – in U.S., Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands.
* Q2: What does the new powertrain limited warranty include?
* A2: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components – engine, transmission and drive system – on most new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge 2006 MY, 2007 MY and 2008 MY vehicles.
* Q3: What powertrain parts and components are covered?
* A3: Gasoline engine, transmission and drive systems (FWD, AWD, RWD or 4WD).
* Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
* A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.
* Q5: When does the new warranty coverage take effect?
* A5: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty begins at the end of the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.
* Q6: Why is Chrysler changing its warranty coverage?
* A6: Our confidence level in our vehicles is very high. Our dealers are telling us that our products are the best quality they've seen in a very, very long time – maybe ever. So, we'd like to take this level of confidence and share it with you, our customers. This new powertrain warranty demonstrates our commitment to you as a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge customer and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. We want you to feel that same confidence.
* Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
* A7: Our new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers over 88% of our vehicles sold at retail in the U.S. Vehicles that not covered include those used as/for/by police, taxis, limousines, postal delivery, ambulances, rental or government – these will continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty. Also excluded are SRT models and Dodge Sprinters which are covered by our 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty; and our diesel-engine vehicles (Dodge Ram Cab/Chassis and Dodge Sprinter) which are covered by a 5-year/100,000-mile engine warranty – our diesel-equipped Jeep vehicles have a 3-year/36,000-mile engine warranty.
* Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?
* A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.
* Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?
* A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.
* Q10: How does your new lifetime powertrain warranty coverage compare to your competitors?
* A10: We are the first and only OEM to offer a lifetime powertrain warranty.
* Q11: What is different from your 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty to the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
* A11: The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150. The new lifetime warranty has no deductible and is not transferable.
* Q12: If I purchased my vehicle on July 24 or 25, am I still eligible for the new lifetime limited warranty?
* A12: No. However, Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage.
* Q13: How long will this new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty be offered on Chrysler vehicles?
* A13: At this time, we plan to continue this warranty program through the 2008 MY.
* Q14: How can I learn more about Chrysler’s new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
* A14: Initially, warranty details will be provided as a supplement to the current vehicle Warranty Information Books. Revised warranty books for future vehicles are currently under development. Customers may also visit Chrysler.com, Dodge.com and Jeep.com for more information.
* Q15: Is towing included in the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty program?
* A15: No. Our research indicates that most consumers have independent towing service plans such as AAA.
* Q16. Are Mexico, Canada and International markets offering the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
* A16: No. This is a U.S. program only.
* Q17: Is this just a marketing promotion to drive traffic to your dealerships?
* A17: No. This demonstrates our commitment to improved quality on all our vehicles. This isn't a rebate or financing incentive. We stand behind our products with capital investment in facilities and technology. Our warranty programs exemplify our investment in powertrain. It's a move of strength.
* Q18: What does 'lifetime' mean?
* A18: Lifetime is lifetime.

X-4X4R8D

Postby X-4X4R8D » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:58 am

I wonder why they are offering Life Time Warranties

http://va4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=976 :shock:

boogyman

Postby boogyman » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:00 am

It's a way to move off end of the year stock and boost sales figures, since the end of summer sales almost always slump. I looked the stock of some of the jeep dealers and there is a major overstock of grand cherokees. Of course if they weren't $50k, people might buy them.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:26 am

From personal experince Jeeps Suck ass. I had a 97 ZJ (Grand Cherokee) limited V8 (318ci). I purchased an extended warrenty being leary of anything from the US automakers (formerly known as the big 3). In the 4 years I owned it I went through:
3 front difs
2 rear difs
3 Trannys
1 sunroof motor
3 heated seat grids
2 heater cores (although heat and AC never worked right again after the first one)
1 set of injectors
1 fuel pump

in contrast I've almost had my 05 Pathfinder for 4 years you know what I've been through in 42k?
1 VIAS intake per service bullitin
As far as an extended service plan? I think I'll be more than cool until the Diesel 1/2 ton Titan or Tundra come out.

F Chrysler :twisted: NEVER again

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:49 am

Wow. How they make any profit with such warranty work is beyond me...

Return to “General Automotive”