Converting a `95 Pathfinder to rear disc brakes?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

PhdPerformance

Converting a `95 Pathfinder to rear disc brakes?

Postby PhdPerformance » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:03 am

I have a 1995 Pathfinder which I have converted mostly to a trail rig. It has rear drum brakes and when I go offroading and submerge the rear brakes in mud or water the self adjusters usually back all the way out so that I have no e-brake and the brake pedal gets really soft because only my front brakes work unless I pump them up first. I would like to convert to a rear disc brake system and was wondering if anyone on here had done such a thing. I was wondering if there is a conversion kit or if I would have to swap out axles with a more modern Pathfinder. If that was the case is there a rear end that would be compatible with my `95 that would have an e-locker in it?? Thanks for all of your input.

servicetech07

disc brake conversion

Postby servicetech07 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:14 pm

I've had a few pathfinders from this era, and my 92 had factory disc brakes. Might want to look down that route first. I'm not sure if they are bolt on, or if the whole rear diff need to be changed.

PhdPerformance

Postby PhdPerformance » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 am

I bought the rear axle off a rear disc brake Pathfinder and it was a simple swap. Once you unbolt the axle shafts from the axle housing everything you need swaps over as one unit (the caliper, caliper hanger, etc.) However, the one thing I did not get was the master cylinder for four wheel disc brakes. It seems the drum brake master only flows enough fluid to keep the rust off the rear rotors.

flangehead

Postby flangehead » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:09 pm

i was doing a disc swap on my 74 courier. It was brought to my attention, that on that vehicle there is a check ball inline and in order to get the correct pressure to the calipers i had to remove it.

Now i know they are totally different vehicles, but it might be worth checking into.

PhdPerformance

Postby PhdPerformance » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:24 pm

I checked the brake lines for proportioning valves and didn't find anything other than the ABS for the rear wheels which I bypassed when installing new lines. The piston in a caliper requires more fluid than a wheel cylinder so the drum brake master cylinder will not flow enough fluid.

ChatWithaNinja

Postby ChatWithaNinja » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 am

Did you bypass the ABS because you didn't want it, or because if wouldn't work with the rotors?

PhdPerformance

Postby PhdPerformance » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:29 am

I am not a fan of ABS but it was also because when I ran new lines I wanted to keep the system as simple and direct as possible. Side Note: If you are going to replace your brake lines use the copper nickel allow line. It will not rust out and it will bend in tight bends by hand. Great stuff.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”