High Output Alt/Gen

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

grifter9931

High Output Alt/Gen

Postby grifter9931 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi,

I am looking to see if anyone has any experience with having one of these installed in their vehicle. I purchased one from a vendor and the voltage is steady @ 12.6 @ idle and then jumps to 15.1 @ 1100 rpms or above. I just don't want to fry my comp or the amps in my car. The Vendor is saying that there needs to be a load on the system in order to prevent the voltage from jumping up & down on the voltage gauge on the dash.

1. Is that normal?

2. I don't have a load on the system as of yet. System in the process of being put in.

3. I already have the over drive pulley installed.

4. I have no installed the Kenetik khc1800 as of yet.

5. I have already down the big 3 grounds.

The amps nor the system is connected as of yet. I am just asking if anyone has run into this problem as of yet.

Thanks in advance

valenburg

Postby valenburg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 pm

I am not an expert with car alt's but an upgraded ALT would generally mean it is capable of a higher current draw (Amperes) to facilitate the extra load (yoru system). i think most Alternators range max is about 15.5vdc.

found

Postby found » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 am

no, 15v is a bad thing. most alternator testers will tell you bad diodes when volatage spikes like that. best thing to do is take it to a repair center and ask them to do a battery and alternator load test.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”