Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:19 pm

doctahjones wrote:yeah, i mean i'm only short by 1/4in on each side, i don't see what the big deal is. plus my buddy worked at discount/america's tire all through jr college and he said it's not a big deal either.

just like how the last time i ordered 2 oem tires (i got into a ordering 2 at a time thing) to replace my oems in the front that were getting pretty low on tread. i had already replaced the rears so they were good. i asked if they could go ahead and roatate the fronts to the rear so i could "finish burnin 'em off" (cuz you know, v8 + traction off = easy to leave some rubber). he said they couldn't do that, it's an industry standard to keep the tires with the most amount of tread on the rear. i was like wtf, i'm ordering tires from you today, it will only be like this for 1-2 days. he still couldn't do it. bastards!
I can see their point though, don't want to be responsible, especially a "big" nation wide chain name like theirs.

Along those words, there are plenty of people I know that have been on wider than suggested tires for their wheels with no problems.

Myself included. My winter tires on my car are 235-45's and I've used them on a 7" wide wheel for 2 or 3 years now with no problem and the min. requirement is 7.5". A fellow member has the same wheels with 245-45's and no problem. The minimum wheel requirement for that is also 7.5" for his tires.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:15 am

I can understand it being company policy, so it comes down to your personal relationship with the guys at the shop. I've been going to the same shop for a long time, so I can usually talk them into anything :wink:

Volvite, I didn't want any lift at all, just stiffer springs, and the 4x4pars rear springs did the trick perfectly. They are just .5" taller than stock when the truck is unloaded, but toss a bunch of gear in the trunk and it's a full inch higher off the bump stops than the weak-ass OEM springs...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 pm

Carl,

Thanks for the update on the springs.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:01 am

RacerZX wrote:I can understand it being company policy, so it comes down to your personal relationship with the guys at the shop. I've been going to the same shop for a long time, so I can usually talk them into anything :wink:

Volvite, I didn't want any lift at all, just stiffer springs, and the 4x4pars rear springs did the trick perfectly. They are just .5" taller than stock when the truck is unloaded, but toss a bunch of gear in the trunk and it's a full inch higher off the bump stops than the weak-ass OEM springs...

yeah i had to pull a favor and go through a friend of a friend. i'm at the shop now waiting for mine to be pulled in. they're going to 'test fit' the tire first, then proceed if they're ok with it. *crossing fingers*

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Just had my alternator give up at 59,890 miles. On my 2005 I had both alternator and power steering pump die between 60K and 70K, but I was really hoping the newer model with the V8 would prove more robust... At least it died BEFORE my warranty expired :roll:

Also for 60K I had my fav oil change shop do the transmission fluid and coolant, and will do the power steering when I get some proper redline oil to swap it...

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:46 pm

i was thinking about doing trans and coolant next. wouldn't mind doing power steering either i guess.

i'm thinking my trans fluid is about 'done', as i'm getting some weird shifting patterns and delays i wasn't getting ~20k miles ago. nothing -bad- but it will hang for a good extra 1-2 seconds before upshifting, and it didn't used to do that...

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 am

I stand corrected, not bad alternator, just loose connection to the battery. Paid my dealer $75 for that, plus they did an on over-all omg-my-warranty-is-expiring inspection.

Now that my warranty is gone, just ordered a Volant PowerCore CAI :D
I'll try to do some careful before & after dyno & MPG testing...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:57 am

Now that my rig has over 200000km on it, I actually have an alternator sitting on the shelf. I'm sure its not far away.

Managed to get it for free from a buddy of mine, rebuilt Hitachi.

Did you have new clamps installed? Or did they just do what I did and wedge something into them. Every import I've ever owned has had this issue, the damn battery clamps stretch over time. Hard to replace, too, as there is lots of corrosion preventing you from removing the nut that holds the clamp on.

t

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:58 am

I've found that the battery clamp will not tighten enough period *if* I don't seat it 100% down on the post. This is maybe a quirk of the Optima batteries, I have no idea, but clearly it's a wee bit thicker down at the base of the post...

Also, got my Volant CAI install, and also added an AEM Filter Minder as well so I can tell when the change that insane "100K mile" Powercore filter. Installation video and etc here: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?p=50357

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 am

And just had a couple quarts of fresh Redline D6 ATF flushed into the power steering system. 60K tasks done, ready for the next 60 :D

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi RacerZX.
Its nice to see more members with a V8.
2 years ago when I purchased my 08 pathy there was only 2 other members with V8 in here, so I have not been in here much. I had to do a lot of resurch and hang around Titan/Armada forums. And implemented a lot of thair aftermarket parts to fit the pathfinder. Some fit without any problems others had to be modified.
I see you have done few of my mods, :D.
Here is the picture of my Pathy:

forgottenzone

Battery connection terminals

Postby forgottenzone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Same issue here with the odessey battery.
Very bad oem clamp design. looks like it was made for 1 time use.
I had to completely change the setup.
Here are pics of what I did to make sure the battery connection to the fuse block stays connected:

[quote="RacerZX"]I've found that the battery clamp will not tighten enough period *if* I don't seat it 100% down on the post. This is maybe a quirk of the Optima batteries, I have no idea, but clearly it's a wee bit thicker down at the base of the post...

Zen_master

Re: Hi, my name is Carl, I just got a used V8 and...

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:14 pm

RacerZX wrote:
My new girl has 48K miles, still under the power-train warranty, Storm Grey & Brownish/red leather (what is the color called?), LE/NAV/DVD/Bluetooth/all-the-trimmings, here's a weak cell phone pic:

Things on my to-do list, please feel free to critique or suggest additions:

Ordered up the NAV upgrade, and damn it's a dealer installed HDD upgrade instead of an ISO I could try to find online...
Can you explain this in further detail? Is this simply an update to the sites and destinations on the NAV mapping (e.g. ATMs, hotels, gas stations, etc.)?

I recently purchased a 2011 V8 with all the same bells and whistles. I'm now wondering if I need to do something to the factory navigation system after reading your post.

Zen_master

Postby Zen_master » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:25 pm

RacerZX wrote:Just had my local dealer install the v8.5 2012 navigation update, took them 3 hours though they only charged me for 1. *@#$*
Stumbled upon this and it partially answers my question immedately above.

So it sounds like every now and again the Nav needs to be updated by Nissan, correct? How often do you recommend? And if so, wouldn't this be something that would be included in a Nissan Certified Used Car?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:31 am

Hey Carl,

So do you have any regrets on giving up your old rig vs the V8?

I will probably start shopping for a newer R51 to replace my 05 sometime this year, and the extra power and towing capacity is appealing. Although I would have to shop south of the border in the US to get one...

t

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”