Cabin microfilter

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:17 pm

phantom2 wrote:NVSteve..If I were to make a guess,I would bet that you have some critters making a home in that duct system.It looks as though they're eating the bottom of you dash
The foam-bits looks like they have bitemarks..

Aren't there any droppings from them in the filters?

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 am

If I lived anywhere else, I'd probably say some critter was responsible. But, the only critters I have are ants. I looked around the little compartment as best I could to see if I could figure out where the foam came from, but I still have no clue. I'm wondering if it is part of a foam surround that should be directly above the filters. In any case, I'm not too worried. When I fired up the blower to the max setting yesterday, it was like a jet turbine. Certainly a lot more airflow than I had before I replaced the filters, which is a good thing. I'll have to reposition the filters a bit because I'm getting what sounds like a bit of flapping when I have the blower on max.

phantom2

Postby phantom2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:18 pm

NVSteve wrote: I'll have to reposition the filters a bit because I'm getting what sounds like a bit of flapping when I have the blower on max.
That "flapping" is from those mice running from the hurricane

OurPathfinder

Postby OurPathfinder » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:19 pm

I wonder how easy it would be to make a custom K&N style microfilter? Those cotton ones are cheap looking.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:18 pm

OurPathfinder wrote:Those cotton ones are cheap looking.
It's not just that. I'd say it's a rather poor design overall. When you install these things, you can easily see that there will be gaps, either on the sides or inbetween the filters. It would have been nice if they had a single piece filter that actually completely sealed off the stray air & dust flow. But, I will admit it is better than not having any filter at all.

sveintore

Postby sveintore » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:50 pm

At least the filters remove big foam bits from the air :p

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:11 pm

sveintore wrote:At least the filters remove big foam bits from the air :p
I'm never going to hear the end of this, am I? I'll remember all the crap you guys gave me when I find out I have some freakish Nissan cyborg creature living in my air ducting. Hopefully it will be asexual and produce mini Nissan cyborgs that I can train to go out into the world and eat the foam from every Pathfinder out there. So there :!:

Once again, the service manual provides no clue as to what the foam could be (or rather was). Not enough detail on the part breakdown drawings.

Fofiddy

Postby Fofiddy » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:30 pm

NVSteve wrote: It's not just that. I'd say it's a rather poor design overall. When you install these things, you can easily see that there will be gaps, either on the sides or inbetween the filters. It would have been nice if they had a single piece filter that actually completely sealed off the stray air & dust flow. But, I will admit it is better than not having any filter at all.
A little duct tape to seal the gap between the two filters?
Sadly with close to 50k I haven't inspected mine. perhaps when I redo my AV install I'll take a look.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:17 am

Fofiddy wrote:A little duct tape to seal the gap between the two filters?
Sadly with close to 50k I haven't inspected mine. perhaps when I redo my AV install I'll take a look.
I'll have to mess around with it this weekend. The problem is that the access opening for the filters is only just a hair wider than the width of 1 filter. You stick one filter in, use a long screwdriver or whatever to push it to the side, then you slide in the other filter. And when the filters are out, you can see that the inside is not perfectly rectangular. A foam type of filter would squeeze itself into every nook & cranny, but they just inhibit airflow too much. As I said, it's better than no filtering. I'd rather spend time figuring out how to install a rear cover.

Cr@2y Gr33k

Postby Cr@2y Gr33k » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:58 pm

I just replaced mine a little while ago. They are not worth cleaning, because you can buy them for less than $30 eNissanparts.com. Just make sure you have a small vacuum ready to get any dirt and debris that falls out when changing them. They install in less than 5 minutes.

me&pathy

Postby me&pathy » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:47 pm

just replace em there like 20 bucks at auto zone

SilverGhost

Re: Cabin microfilter

Postby SilverGhost » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Gray wrote:
That looks just like mine. How the hell do you get that cover off? Mine doesn't appear to have the retaining bolt. But pulling and prying on the thing still won't open it.

SHAWNATGERBROCK

Postby SHAWNATGERBROCK » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:15 pm

That little tab to the right of where the bolt is supposed to be , push up ..or is it down ?? It is the locking tab ...

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:58 pm

SilverGhost wrote: That looks just like mine. How the hell do you get that cover off? Mine doesn't appear to have the retaining bolt. But pulling and prying on the thing still won't open it.
The first time I pulled out the glove box, I was thinking the same thing. Took me about 15 minutes of pulling & prying before I figured it out. Yeah, there is no bolt like the instructions indicate. Just one of those beefy (and fragile) plastic clip things that holds the whole thing on.

SilverGhost

Postby SilverGhost » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:21 pm

NVSteve wrote:The first time I pulled out the glove box, I was thinking the same thing. Took me about 15 minutes of pulling & prying before I figured it out. Yeah, there is no bolt like the instructions indicate. Just one of those beefy (and fragile) plastic clip things that holds the whole thing on.
Finally found it - Jeez, those things were loaded with crap at less than 15k miles! Ordered a new set from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00162I1N4, plus a new Fram engine air filter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009H51U8. Prices were the best I could find, either locally or on the 'net.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”