Another silly fuel economy post

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat May 11, 2013 5:24 pm

On the way to Fargo today:

455km - 282mi
55L - 14.5ga

12L/100km

Or

19.44mpg

Wind was definitely behind us! Average speed was 125kph or 78MPH.

t

ReynMan83

Postby ReynMan83 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:17 pm

On my trip tonight from basically Knoxville TN to Frankfort KY, mostly highway. I got 25.1 mpg! Super stoked! This was on ethanol free 90. 226 mi on 9gal. Had to fill up with eth gas tonight for the drive into saint Louis tomorrow so we will see what happens there.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Tue May 28, 2013 8:24 pm

totally forgot to report this earlier....

drove from ~denver to glenwood springs. got 18.7 there, and 17.1 back. was doing anywhere between 65-80mph (75mph speed limit in some areas).

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Wed May 29, 2013 2:44 pm

doctahjones wrote:totally forgot to report this earlier....

drove from ~denver to glenwood springs. got 18.7 there, and 17.1 back. was doing anywhere between 65-80mph (75mph speed limit in some areas).
Dang!!

I think I need a BullDog tuner like NOW!

I never even saw that when stock.

ReynMan83

Postby ReynMan83 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 pm

lots of wind, mostly crosswind. ethanolated gas and shitty drivers equated to barely 19 mpg from frankfort, ky to saint louis. meh. all highway between 70 and 75 mph, flatland.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 am

NmexMAX wrote:

Dang!!

cruise control helps ALOT as well :)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:12 am

ReynMan83 wrote:lots of wind, mostly crosswind. ethanolated gas and shitty drivers equated to barely 19 mpg from frankfort, ky to saint louis. meh. all highway between 70 and 75 mph, flatland.
I've noticed huge swings in mpg from wind. PF is NOT aerodynamic. I've driven into bad headwinds and averaged 18mpg, turn around and drive back with a tail wind and hit 23mpg. These were 200+ mile trips at 75ish. The tail doesn't help anywhere near as much as it harms....I'm normally in the 22mpg range for long highway.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu May 30, 2013 9:08 am

doctahjones wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:

Dang!!

I use CC on all my cars, everywhere, in town, just down the street, to the store, and of course on the highway all day everyday.

I think I manged in the 17's one time with the stock set-up. Still in the 13's or so now. Also, like I had mentioned earlier, the tires didn't change the speedometer nor did the gears. Still dead on, so my MPG's can't be cheated at a +8% or whatever the difference in size of tires. Not sure if that's the case for your Pathy having larger tires but not different gears. Wouldn't thin it is only because the tires and gear change weren't directly equivalent.

Have you verified in some way that your speed is the same as before (actual is the same as in your dash reading) using GPS or radar?

Zen_master

Re: Another silly fuel economy post

Postby Zen_master » Fri May 31, 2013 3:12 pm

FLpathFinder wrote:When I first purchased my PF, I was getting between 350-370 miles a tank. Then I took a 1200 mile round trip to Pensacola, all highway. Now for some reason, my truck is reading low fuel at around 300 miles a tank. Anyone have any idea what can attribute to this?
350 to 370 miles on a tank is exceptional for the Pathfinder (R51). For that reason I am somewhat skeptical of such figures. The best I've done is 337 on a tank (~18.5 gal consumed) and that was nearly all highway with minimal highway traffic congestion.

However, assuming the numbers you report are accurate can you disclose when you were achieving such figures? The reason I ask is that the Federal Gov't implemented a biofuel mandate that, according to my understanding, increases every year. Translation - more and more biofuels must comprise a larger portion of the nation's energy consumption from year to year. Ergo, gasoline in general around 2005 had less ethanol in it. There were places you could find ethanol-free gasoline back then. Now, you'd be hard pressed outside of racing shops and airports to find ethanol-free gasoline.

On a per gallon basis ethanol produces less energy than gasoline therefore you will see worse MPG with ethanol laced fuels. If you were comparing 2005 miles per tank to 2013 miles per tank this may explain some of it. However, if you were getting 350-370 miles per tank as recently as a last year or just two or three years ago this is not likely to be the cause for the drop as ethanol was well integrated into the fuel supply by that time.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:52 am

doctahjones wrote:
NmexMAX wrote:

Dang!!

Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy or power moving up to Denver?

Compared to sea level you're losing about 30% power. My car dynos ~30% less whp uncorrcted vs SAE.

FLpathFinder

Postby FLpathFinder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:22 am

Maybe my computer was off back when I got it. I'd fill up and it would say 350-370 miles til empty. I'd fill up around 30-40 miles to go, at around 330ish. Mix of highway and city. Averaging around 19 mpg. Now I'm down to averaging about 15-16.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:31 am

Can't even break 300 here. Tires lift gears hills don't work well. Then again Didnt buy it for fuel economy.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:29 am

NmexMAX wrote: Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy or power moving up to Denver?

Compared to sea level you're losing about 30% power. My car dynos ~30% less whp uncorrcted vs SAE.

both. i definitely have less power, but i am getting better gas mileage. i'm thinking that since there's less air, there's less fuel being dumped in (to maintain ~14% afr), hense less power and better mpg.

we did another trip to to the mountains this weekend, up to guanella pass. filled up at a station right next to the house, got 16.5mpg (with 6% compensation for bigger tires) round trip with 4 passengers.

and this lower hp is making me want to do the diff swap even more.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:19 am

latest report...

went up to estes park and through rocky mountain national park.

i filled up in lyons (because wife had to use the restroom), and by the time we hit the peak of trail ridge road i was around 10.5mpg according to the compooter.

we came back through granby and winter park to catch i70 back to denver. i ended up showing 16.7mpg on the display.

trip was about 180mi i think? (will double check trip meter)

these figures are without the 6.8% adjustment for larger tire size, so with that the figures are 11.2mpg/17.8mpg/192mi

which is about right on. i've found that the display is usually about 1-2mpg off when i calculate by hand (adj miles/gallons) after using a full tank.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:00 am

doctahjones wrote:latest report...

went up to estes park and through rocky mountain national park.

i filled up in lyons (because wife had to use the restroom), and by the time we hit the peak of trail ridge road i was around 10.5mpg according to the compooter.

we came back through granby and winter park to catch i70 back to denver. i ended up showing 16.7mpg on the display.

trip was about 180mi i think? (will double check trip meter)

these figures are without the 6.8% adjustment for larger tire size, so with that the figures are 11.2mpg/17.8mpg/192mi

which is about right on. i've found that the display is usually about 1-2mpg off when i calculate by hand (adj miles/gallons) after using a full tank.

I found, maybe it's due to the diff swap, but my speedo is dead nuts on so I have since stopped adding for the larger tires. Which is bad because well, MPG's aren't so great.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”