roof mounted spare??

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

NYPathfinder

roof mounted spare??

Postby NYPathfinder » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 pm

I have the yakima load warrior roof rack with the extension. The shovel is mounted up, im waiting to order the hi lift jack. But I said to myself i wouldn't mount the spare up there. Now that the rack is on im reconsidering. I tried searching to for pics but wasnt able to find any r51's, although i do kinda remember seeing one with the tire mounted up there. Anyone have any pics or remember seeing what it looked like?

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 pm

You won't like the way it handles after its up there. Mine was for awhile ill find a pic when I get home its to much of a pain on my phone.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

thanks id appreciate it. If all else fails i'll put it up there for a week or so and see how I like it. worse that happens is i take it down.

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:35 pm

I 2nd GOTGOO on this. Most people hate the handling after they roof-mount their spare. Trust me, I work for a pretty big company that sells and installs roof racks. It's also a huge pain to get the tire up and down from a roof basket when you need it. Save the basket for camping gear smaller items.

P.S. - I've never snagged my spare when driving off road. I've dragged the bumper and hitch plenty though.

GOTGOO
Sponsored Member

Postby GOTGOO » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:38 pm

This is my old old setup.

@ IcedTeasley: Its not dragging the spare that scares me its the things of a pointy and shape nature that scare me!

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:15 am

GOTGOO wrote:This is my old old setup.
@ IcedTeasley: Its not dragging the spare that scares me its the things of a pointy and shape nature that scare me!
I like the look of it.Maybe i'll try it out and see if i like it or not. Thats exactly what i was worried about. I've heard it drag a few times but just worried about catching a rock the wrong way then boom goes my only spare.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 am

GOTGOO wrote: @ IcedTeasley: Its not dragging the spare that scares me its the things of a pointy and shape nature that scare me!
I dropped mine a few weeks ago because my TPM light was on & noticed that the 2 bits of frame that contact the spare have left pretty big indentations in the tire. I'm more afraid of that ruining the spare when I need it than I am of anything popping/poking into the tire from the ground. I need to run to a home store and buy a rubber mat & cut to size to fit inbetween the spare and the frame.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:01 am

^I just dropped mine about an hour ago. I noticed the spots you were talking about. but after a few mins i went and looked back at the tire the spots were gone. Only reason im really debating on putting the spare on the roof is for easy access and to keep it from getting hit on any off road adventures. Plus it was muddy as all hell and the chains that drop it down were binding up. So it took me a good 15 mins to get the spare out.I powerwash the bottom and clean the rest of it withing 24 hrs of having fun to get rid of mud and beach sand.So i could only imagine if i hadnt been cleaning it that chain would have been seized. Id rather lift it off the top of the truck the one time a may actually need it instead of laying on a cold/muddy floor to get at it. But thats just me.

NYPathfinder

Postby NYPathfinder » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 pm

I got it mounted up for the past two days. I honestly can't tell its up there. Don't feel a handling difference or more wind noise. I noticed a little more windnoise when I installed the rack. Its being held down right now with two ratchet straps. I was also able to do a rough mount of the lights im putting up there.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”