05 Pathfinder will Not Crank

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:33 am

THat's because it's not on the trans, it's in the shifter assy!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:42 am

You may be on to something. Now that you mention, I do recall a situation.

My kids (daughter 5 and son 2) both really love(d) to play in cars. My daught would reef on the shifter in the pathy. I recall one time when the truck would not crank after one of these play sessions. I resolved it by turning the key to the on position, and running the shifter from park down to 1st and back up. After doing this, the truck started no problem. I think this happened about 2-3 times back in 2008 when we bought the thing.

What does the gear selection say on the dash?

I'm on my smartphone right now, but when I get a chance to check the FSM on my laptop, I'll see if the NSS is integrated into the shifter. Based on my fix to a similar issue, I'm suspecting it is.

P1065 is not related to thge transmission, its an error code for the ECM heater not functioning. See attached post from TitanTalk for decription. Its most likely related to your jumping of the starter, I hope you didn't do damage.

U1000 is a communication error, probably meaning that the TCM and ECM aren't talking, also as you suspect a fallout of your jumping of the starter.

Can you clear these codes? Give my shifter 'run through' fix a try and see if that helps.

t

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:18 am

I am at work right now and will try that when i get home. I have been looking at the service manual and under the transmission section and have found somethings related to this issue but no location of the switch. Nissan is refering the neutral safety switch as PNP(Park/Neutral Position switch).

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:28 pm

So I have started the car today through running the wire from the starter solenoid to the postive on the battery. And I noticed that on the gauge cluster it does not tell me that I was in park (P) or neutral (N) or any of the other gears for that matter.

If anyone has any thoughts Please chime in.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 pm

Loose or damaged harness/connector?

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:56 pm

disallow wrote:Loose or damaged harness/connector?
Nothing Ive check is damaged or loose.

I am thinking it may be a bad TCM but you have to drop the trans pan to get to that. This thing has me stumped.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah from what I've read the tcm is integrated to the trans. Pain in the ass to change.

Stupid question, since your jumping of the starter, have you checked your fuses again? How about disconnectig the battery again. I know its basic stuff, but worth asking.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:07 pm

The PNP and neutral safety switch are one in the same, just a difference in terminology. It is intergrated into the shifter assy., but it is also available seperate as a service replacement (meaning you can replace the PNP switch without replacing the entire shifter. If you are jumping the starter directly from the battery, you are bypassing the the circuits of the shifter so I would not expect to see the gear selection on the dash. Also, a U1000 code is a general CAN communication code that may or may not be a communication error between the ECM and TCM. The only way to know would be to access the CAN communication system with a scantool capable of accessing that information. CAN communication exists between the ECM and a number of componants.

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 am

smj999smj wrote:The PNP and neutral safety switch are one in the same, just a difference in terminology. It is intergrated into the shifter assy., but it is also available seperate as a service replacement (meaning you can replace the PNP switch without replacing the entire shifter. If you are jumping the starter directly from the battery, you are bypassing the the circuits of the shifter so I would not expect to see the gear selection on the dash. Also, a U1000 code is a general CAN communication code that may or may not be a communication error between the ECM and TCM. The only way to know would be to access the CAN communication system with a scantool capable of accessing that information. CAN communication exists between the ECM and a number of componants.
Thanks for all the good info smj. I will get that check out with a scan tool capable of accessing that information. I think Aamco may run the code for free or I may just take it to the dealer for the scan.

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:54 pm

So ended up giving in and taking the path to nissan. I never took the truck in for the ecm relay recall even though I knew my relay was good but I figured why not have them run it on there diagnostics while its down there. Even though I have a good scan tool, I know theirs is better and there are some manufactuer codes you just cant pull up.

So they said they thought it was the fusible link and they wanted to replace that and my battery. I knew that wasnt the problem but I told them it was fine to replace because maybe for some fluke reason. Then they call me 3 hrs later and say thats not the problem and there is still a problem with the transmission (tcm) not communicating with the ecm. So they want to keep it over the weekend and through monday. That is where she stands at this point....

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Finally today I get a call with bad news. Nissan tells me they still can not get the truck to start and there is no communication with the TCM(transmission computer). So they are recomending a TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT! The service guy said that the tech found metal shavings in the trans fluid and said the fluid was burnt which is why they think it knocked out the TCM. I have replaced my radiator and changed the fluid and check it pretty regularly. It just doesnt make any sence.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? Quote for trans is $4333.00

wandanier

Postby wandanier » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:02 am

Decision was made. Traded in my 05 for a 12 because it was not worth fixing all the problems and Nissan gave me a decent deal for the new one. And its the last year for the "PATHFINDER". The 2013 will never find my path.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:25 pm

That's a change. Did they give you a deal on your old Pathfinder?

unreal2k1

U1000 Code

Postby unreal2k1 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:21 am

I am new here and have been looking online for a possible fix for the U1000 code I kept getting on my 05 LE pathfinder. I spent almost $2000 on parts that did not fix the issue even had the car at a dealer where the head tech kept the car for almost a month. Changed the IPDM/ER not just the relay, changed the cluster still not the problem, changed the battery did the U1000 grounding fix, still having the problem, bought a new valve body from Nissan which comes with the TCm still having the issue. flushed the trans still having the problem. I almost wanted to take out back and light it up. This all started when I had the trans flushed out and the oil came out pretty dark but no issues slipping or anything. I did have the mixing issue and had the trans re-built 2 years ago and 80,000 miles later this problem started. The bypass was done and a cooler installed on the front of the car. Anyway right after I had the flush done and the air temp outside got warmer in April here in NY is when the U1000 started and had the car in Limp mode about 25 times until I found out what the issue was. When I had the trans cooler oil mixing issue I had a transmission shop do the rebuild. They did a good job on that but it turns out that the cooler they installed was at bare minimum for our trans size and over time the oil burnt and looses its cooling abilities. After all the research and trying to find out why I was having this issue it was all because the cooler was not large enough. Not only was the radiator bypassed but also the large factory cooler in front of the radiator also. Most places do not realize that that factory cooler has a valve that needs to be opened and flushed out and if you reverse it and then install it the cooler will let fluid thru not just when it gets to a high temp. Then i had a LPD low pressure drop stacked fin design cooler installed below that so in tandem to the factory cooler. basically the trans was getting up to above 260 degrees and would just drop out and even tho there is a temp sensor in there it never threw a code nor did the new one. Nissan cannot explain that. I had a very good transmission guy who saw the over heating issue right away and basically fixed the car in 3 days would have been one but had to get the cooler shipped. now with full load and high ambient temp the trans does not go over 175 and runs at 165 normal speed with no load. I felt like I had to post this because maybe it was just me having this issues due to a lack of the right cooling on my trans or no one out there has posted that this is how they fixed their issue. Sad part about having the car at Nissan was the tech never pulled the dip stick once to see that the oil was black like paint and thin like water from being over heated so badly. My wife just drove the car to Ohio and after a 7 hour drive no issues. Before the fix not even 20 mins of driving no matter the ambient temp it would end up in Limp Mode. Hopefully this will help someone out there fix a limp mode due to over heating that does not come up as a code but as a u1000 since the TCM just falls out due to over heating and going into Limp mode. Now I have the original IPDM/ER unit which had no issues and 3 extra relays which are about $4 at nissan for the relays. oh and a cluster also which I did not have to spend $400 on since nissan had to program my mileage. the car is at 170,00 now and I have done every repair to it that everyone out there has had or will have. I love nissan vehicles but this one makes me want to never buy another one ever again. now its the cat issue even tho i changed the cats and all sensors. I might just do the o2 simulator fix and say s**ew it. Sick of spending thousands on this car lol also the wiper assembly in the front needs to be replaced since the passenger side is worn and bangs on the trip at the bottom of the windshiled, the rear glass weather strip is leaking for no reason and needs a new rubber that is coming off and we never use the glass. Its a Lemon it was just not painted Yellow...

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:24 am

bad BCM?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”