Would you buy again??

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

mforce

Postby mforce » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:12 pm

We did go ahead and pick it up. I lost some sleep last night thinking about this.
I did get the car fax... it is a one owner and he only put 10,000 miles on it in the last 4 years. It now has 76K on it and the previous owner had the radiator flushed at the dealer at 65K. It does have the ECU recall outstanding still though. Does the radiator flush help out with the tranny problems any? It is a VERY clean vehicle and everyone is right is does have great power. More zippy then my Ram was. I need to find out why the temp. gauge is not working. I tried to have the dealer fix it but they said "NO" they did not have any more money in it! I had them move a lot on my trade!!! But being used we did get a good rate 5.4% on it. Not to bad considering the age of it. Will the ECU rectify the temp gauge not working?

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:53 pm

You can do better than that on interest. Hit up penfed.org I have both my used cards through them. 1 at 1.49 and the other at 1.79.

As for the Pathfinder, from my time on this forum and other readings, the flush will not prevent the possibility of cross contamination. Unless you swap out the radiator or do the bypass, you still run the risk of having the issue. I hope you enjoy the pathfinder. I have loved mine.

mforce

Postby mforce » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Is there a certain brand of radiator to go with or is it better to just do the bypass on it? What type of cooler is used for the bypass and do I need to get one oversized for it cooler that it?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:49 pm

mforce wrote:Is there a certain brand of radiator to go with or is it better to just do the bypass on it? What type of cooler is used for the bypass and do I need to get one oversized for it cooler that it?
Radiator: There are some cheap aftermarkets (sub $200) that seem to work fine. I went OEM because I'm anal and the '08+ have different fitment.

Bypass doesn't require anything but moving the tranny lines and plugging one. There is already a stand alone OEM tranny cooler and consensus is it does a fine job by itself. Lots of posts and how-to's around here for that if you search.

mforce

Postby mforce » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Well I just checked the radiator part number on it reads 21460-ZL11A and Calsonic made it. The PF is a 2005 and I don't think that the ZL11A was out in 05. So is the 21460-ZL11A the replacement radiator for the PF. I have not been able to verify with the dealer if the radiator was put in by them or not but it is definitely and Nissan radiator due to the model numbers.

mforce

Postby mforce » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 pm

Well I found out GREAT NEWS today. I called Nissan USA and they put me in touch with the dealer. No luck with that dealer so I called the dealer that showed on my carfax that did all the work. The vehicle god a new transmission, new radiator, new oil cooler, lines, hoses and gaskets at 59,000 and this was all under warranty. So it looks like I am safe now. The work was completed in 2009 and it has only gotten 15,000 miles since all the work was completed. Now I have many long miles ahead of us!!!!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:44 pm

mforce wrote: Now I have many long miles ahead of us!!!!
Maybe....realize the radiators were not updated to the non-problematic ones until 2011. So that 2009 radiator is probably also a potential problem. I would still do the bypass, but the rest is clearly good news.

mforce

Postby mforce » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Well check engine light h t came on today right after low fuel light came on. Now it is back at the dealer for repair. I hope they fix it without to many issues.

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Would you buy again??

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:36 am

mforce wrote:We have not had a pathfinder before but have had and Xterra and loved that vehicle other then it being underpowered. But, the PF has a lot more power to it.
What year Xterra did you have? From 05 on, they have the same engine as the pathy, and as far as power to weight ratio, the X would win.

As far as whether I'd buy again, absolutely. We've been thinking about what our next vehicle should be, and always seem to come back to the pathfinder. The combination of interior space (but not too much), great power, towing capacity, overall reliability, and fuel economy (because its still better than a suburban), makes the pathfinder an ideal vehicle for what our family needs.

And now they don't make it anymore... dammit! :)

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 am

If I was to go back in time.... No I would have gotten the 4 door Titan or Armoda. I find that the path at time does not have the room I need. Such as my fishing trip with my father and brother in law. But we all are 6'6" tall.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:34 am

Methinks the Japanese have no concept on what it would be like to be 6 foot plus and 200lbs+.

I'm 6'2" 250lb, and the truck is comfortable, so I would agree that 3 guys of your size would be a stretch for this truck. Reminds me of that documentary with the tall family from the UK, always having to duck for doorways and stuff.

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:30 am

disallow wrote:Methinks the Japanese have no concept on what it would be like to be 6 foot plus and 200lbs+.

I'm 6'2" 250lb, and the truck is comfortable, so I would agree that 3 guys of your size would be a stretch for this truck. Reminds me of that documentary with the tall family from the UK, always having to duck for doorways and stuff.
By myself yes the PF is great but even with just my family it's a little tight

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:52 am

Terry,

I think you should come to the states and buy a V8.

mforce

Re: Would you buy again??

Postby mforce » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:40 pm

disallow wrote:
mforce wrote:We have not had a pathfinder before but have had and Xterra and loved that vehicle other then it being underpowered. But, the PF has a lot more power to it.
What year Xterra did you have? From 05 on, they have the same engine as the pathy, and as far as power to weight ratio, the X would win.

As far as whether I'd buy again, absolutely. We've been thinking about what our next vehicle should be, and always seem to come back to the pathfinder. The combination of interior space (but not too much), great power, towing capacity, overall reliability, and fuel economy (because its still better than a suburban), makes the pathfinder an ideal vehicle for what our family needs.

And now they don't make it anymore... dammit! :)
We had a 2003 Xterra. We really did like it but I think I am liking the PF better!!! Right now it is at the dealer for a check engine light so they are working through that now. The gas light came on and the check engine light was not far behind the gas light. The temp gauge is not working either so that is being looked at.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:11 am

The fuel gauge is a known issue on these trucks, as well as the oil pressure gauge.

But I've never heard of the temp gauge going out...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”