Added 40sq ft of sound deadener to the rear of the Path

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

staynlean

Added 40sq ft of sound deadener to the rear of the Path

Postby staynlean » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:43 am

Well i know the pics are too big, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make them smaller but you guys get the idea. Working on a new Macbook Pro if anyone can give me some advice of how to make them smaller.

So, adding this to the rear has substantially helped with road noise and that "booming" sound we get when going over small bumps. Although this was a lot of work for just very little result it was fun to do and well worth it, I plan on doing the front floor pans soon. Also it has eliminated any noise you get when driving on wet streets or rain. Posted this fast so excuse the errors, my daughter had ear surgery this morning and is being a pill to keep up with and is sittting on my computer as I *try to type all this...

I'm really into car audio and have added a lot of stuff such as a sub and amp and multiple other things and this helps with sound quality but i'm mostly into having a nice quiet ride for the most part.

doctahjones

Postby doctahjones » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 pm

nice job. i keep thinking about doing that to mine as well. i have the 3rd row out and that's where my sub boxes sit. could probably take out some of the 60hz boom if i deaded it more with that stuff.

also, do you not have rear air? i noticed the huge hole in the back behind the rear tire well, and i don't remember there being a huge hole in mine (i have rear air). that area would make a great place for an amp....

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

No rear air on my S model, I don't mind that either. The air up front is ice cold, actually coldest air i have ever felt.

Lots od room inside those wheel wells although in the car audio world thasts not really a practical place for an amp.

Most people would just remove all the interior trim and use all that extra space for huge boxes or 4th order builds.

I can't wait to get the front done, it's a great improvement.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

No rear air on my S model, I don't mind that either. The air up front is ice cold, actually coldest air i have ever felt.

Lots od room inside those wheel wells although in the car audio world thasts not really a practical place for an amp.

Most people would just remove all the interior trim and use all that extra space for huge boxes or 4th order builds.

I can't wait to get the front done, it's a great improvement.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Lots of work disassembling the seats isn't it? :-D

Damping the rear fenders was a huge improvement for me. The rear floor is way stiffer by itself than other cars I've done so the payback there isn't going to be as large.

Since I usually have the rear seats folded down for bikes, what I've done since then is just lay a couple sheets of foam and vinyl mat down over the floor in lieu of a liner. It's not as effective as if it were glued to the surface to form a real constraining layer, but it's effective. A lot easier than trying to piece meal heavy foam bits into shape under the carpet too...

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-liner-pro/

I did glue whole sheets of 1" neoprene foam into the fenders though.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:38 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Lots of work disassembling the seats isn't it? :-D

Damping the rear fenders was a huge improvement for me. The rear floor is way stiffer by itself than other cars I've done so the payback there isn't going to be as large.

Since I usually have the rear seats folded down for bikes, what I've done since then is just lay a couple sheets of foam and vinyl mat down over the floor in lieu of a liner. It's not as effective as if it were glued to the surface to form a real constraining layer, but it's effective. A lot easier than trying to piece meal heavy foam bits into shape under the carpet too...

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/luxury-liner-pro/
*Edit, ^just saw your link after writing this, second skin audio seems to have great stuff...

Actually taking the rear seats completely out is not bad at all, little harder than the front 2 but still not bad, maybe a 10 minute job unlike the fronts that can be done in less than 5 mins.
Yeah with the butyl mat that actually peels and sticks to the surface, it allows the sound and vibrations to be absorbed before they become airborne (what I used.) There's so many brands of this stuff and actually I will use a different one when I do the front. I am not 100% pleased with the quality of MurderMat...

What I will do for the front is a thicker mat (Dynamat Pro) and then lay down a layer of luxury liner pro http://store.secondskinaudio.com/overkill-pro/ throughout the entire vehicle to catch the remaining noises.

I had my back seats out for about 3 months and realized quickly when I put them back in that they alone block and absorb a substantial amount of unwanted road noise. And, for the car stereo guys, completely changed the inside resonant frequency of my vehicle once the sub stage was re-installed.

Also, I put 2 layers over the rear fender wells, hoping it would help more and it probably did, however there is so much open space inside those wells once the 2 side interior trim panels come off that the "boom" effect noise we commonly hear is most definitely going to be a problem. So, I believe I need to fill in more of that empty space and I plan to do so with some carpet insulation that can be bought at Lowe's or Home Depot. Just going to start stuffing it in the holes in layers and might use some 3m glue in places or some metal tape. Been doing this years, there's a dozen ways to go about it.

You guys with rear heat and air might have a harder time working through this but it can all be done.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Oh, wait...do you have a third row? To get everything out of mine (both rows, plastic on both inner panels, etc.) probably took a bit longer with that. Doing it a second time would be faster (particularly since I didn't have my power tools with me the first time), but it was still a lot to haul in and out.

The rear A/C doesn't block the right rear fender too badly. I was able to get into mine easily enough. It does mean you're not applying mat and definitely not a layer of foam to the inner most wheel well arch though.

Really thick foam is tough to work in under the carpets uniformly...the luxury liner is really stiff on top of that. It works well on big flat areas like the floor boards but not so well elsewhere.

What I've thought of doing if I had a better garage and lots of time is to put Overkill foam in between the ribs of the rear plastic instead. It doesn't have to be bound to the surface for a constraining layer like Luxury Liner as its more like a filter, but it would fit and would help a bit.

The giant sheets of Luxury Liner on top of my seats laid flat works well enough for now though :-D My next project when I get around to it is the hood. Second Skin isn't making their "motor mat" anymore but their heat shield on top of damping will do well enough. It's not as dramatic a change as damping the front fenders, but it does kill a bit more road noise and a *lot* of engine noise. I'm hoping it'll make my warbling a/c compressor quiet to the point where it doesn't aggravate me...

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 pm

Yeah, I have a 3rd row. I have not seen a Path without one after thinking about it. I keep them down, i only have one kid and she's taken over the 2nd row.

I have not felt either of those mats second skin makes, I bet they are hard to work with in curved and tight areas. Hopefully I will get some ordered soon, I am gonna gowith the regular and not the "Pro" maybe it will be easier to work with.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:55 pm

ShipFixer, post your updates and pics when you do the hood. That's def something i'm interested in and have thought about.

There's a thread I have on here of when i did my front wheel wells. I put about 5sq ft of Stinger roadkill pro inside each of them (removing the wheel well liners) attached to the inner fenders and inners wells. It made SUBSTANTIAL improvement in over all quality of the ride. I want to do the inner rears wells as well but those are a little more difficult.

Sound dampening makes such an improvement, I look forward to seeing. what others have done and getting more of mine done soon...

One thing I'm dead set on doing too is taking the head liner out and applying a layer of Dynamat Pro, that will be in the long term future but i am def going tom do that.

Also applying all this stuff alone helps "insulate" the vehicle, keeping in the col air in the summer and warm air in during winter.

Man I love working on my Path, I've got a list of things to do. Doctajones has my "dream machine' I will be ordering the lift this winter and the BFG tires soon after, so excited!!!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”