Gibson Exhaust or K&N Cold Air Intake

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Black Beauty

Gibson Exhaust or K&N Cold Air Intake

Postby Black Beauty » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Should i get a Gibson Exhaust System first or a K&N CAI first? for the cat back exhaust system would i have to weld to put it on or is it an easy install? please give me some insight of what i should get first or if i should get them?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Should you decide on a Gibson, make sure it is stainless. To save money on my Tahoe [traded in for the PF] I went with a galvanized. It rusted along a weld. Due to age, they refused to warranty but gave a decent price on a stainless. Sorta taught me to leave the original mufflers alone until they fall off.
As for CAI, over on economy forums the statement boils down to this: CAI gives more power, warm air induction gives better MPG. I drilled some ½ inch holes all over the filter box to insure plenty of incoming air. Does make for a little more noise under the hood.

staynlean

Postby staynlean » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:53 pm

This is just my opinion of course but I would not waste 1 dime on any kind of cai system for the Path.

Multiple reasons:
1. The air the Path gets already comes from outside the engine bay, therefore "coldish" or as cold as it's going to get.
2. If a cai was, somehow, able to introduce colder air to the engine it would be of such a small difference that no noticeable power gains would be seen.
3. Where would this "cold" air be coming from?
4. Overpriced, not to mention it's probably not going to bolt right up like they advertise.

Not trying to toot my horn at all man, i'm an aircraft engineer and highly recommend you go with the exhaust system.

Best wishes, do what YOU want to do though.

RacerZX
Site Admin

Postby RacerZX » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Install guide plus back-to-back testing of CAI vs stock showing real power gains is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvXLlrwcn4

As for the Gibson, I did a full on-the-roller Dyno testing before and after for a review article for Nissan Sport Magazine a few years ago and *lost* power with it. Just don't go there unless you enjoy throwing away money.

Keith1980

Postby Keith1980 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 am

staynlean wrote:This is just my opinion of course but I would not waste 1 dime on any kind of cai system for the Path.

Multiple reasons:
1. The air the Path gets already comes from outside the engine bay, therefore "coldish" or as cold as it's going to get.
2. If a cai was, somehow, able to introduce colder air to the engine it would be of such a small difference that no noticeable power gains would be seen.
4. Overpriced, not to mention it's probably not going to bolt right up like they advertise.

Not trying to toot my horn at all man, i'm an aircraft engineer and highly recommend you go with the exhaust system.

Agree maybe a drop in K&N filter would be ok. I have anoyher idea...Ram air. Not sure if you can purchase anything but here's how: Remove driver side fog light or cover and run a hose between filter intake and fog light port.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:54 am

staynlean wrote:This is just my opinion of course but I would not waste 1 dime on any kind of cai system for the Path.

Multiple reasons:

I'm not an aircraft engineer but I agree. I built my own intake for my Maxima, and it was FAR cheaper than any other aftermarket system available.

Been tuning VQ's for 13 years, it's as much of an art as it is a science.

http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discussio ... hread.html
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discussio ... 5-ish.html

I was also going to point out Car's experience with the V6 Gibson losing power.

IMO, a Pathy, in V6 or V8 form should stay true to it's roots, and typically things of that nature (intake/exhaust) help the powerband up top, and not down low, where most of us should want it when in the hills and such.

akley88

Postby akley88 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:40 am

A good exhaust shop can do a custom exhaust for less then the gibson one.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”