Fan pulley bracket - help

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ngifford

Fan pulley bracket - help

Postby ngifford » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:10 am

A few weeks ago we took the truck in for rear brakes and had the serpentine belt replaced as it was starting to squeal. New belt was quite a bit quieter.

Last Friday, my wife was driving home from work. Loud noise. No power steering, etc. Get the truck home and the fan and pulley have fallen out of the pulley bracket (bearing let go).

Update
Took it to a local dealer. I think there was a misalignment, imbalance or possibly bad clutch. The fan ended up taking out the rad so it was a very expensive repair but luckily I have an extended warranty.

Lesson learned is to check all pulleys for alignment if you are checking the serpentine belt.
Last edited by ngifford on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:11 am

Perhaps a bad belt tensioner? Or the alignment of one or more of the belt driven accessories could be off. May want to have that checked out.

What exaclty do you mean by fan pulley bracket? Are you referring to the idler pulley bracket?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:44 pm

The water pump on the VQ is under the timing cover, so for the mechanical radiator cooling fan, it simply mounts to a flange and shaft that is part of an aluminum bracket assy., held on by 3 or 4 bolts at the front of the engine. It's pulley is driven by the serpentine belt.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”