Tiptronic shifting convertion

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

flat6symphony

Tiptronic shifting convertion

Postby flat6symphony » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Has anyone heard of someone converting to tiptronic shifting? Is this possible? I have a 2005 SE 4x4.

Thanks

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:50 pm

Do you want true Tiptronic or just the ability to shift manually with an automatic option?

flat6symphony

Postby flat6symphony » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:59 pm

What is the difference between the two? I like how the 2008 or 09 ones look with the ability to shift manually with the automatic option. I want a bit more control over my engine and transmission without using a clutch.

This one I believe is from an 09
http://www.cstatic-images.com/supersize ... 018/29.jpg

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:27 am

Trust me, it's not worth a retrofit. I drive like a bat-outta-hell most of the time and rarely use it. The only time I really use it is if I'm really getting aggressive on a particularly STEEP up-hill climb that has about 3 S-turns. I'll bump it down so the tranny doesn't shift a few times when I have to let off the go-pedal coming into a turn. The other time is if I'm anticipating a very-short passing zone I'll bump it down so the revs are up when the passing zone clears. But then it actually feels slower when you bump it for an up-shift vs the up-shifts in full auto mode. So if your speed is wrong you'll have to up-shift halfway through a pass and it actually feels a little slower.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 am

Tiptronic shifting (developed by Porsche and licensed to some other manufacturers) is like paddle shifting with some convenience features (like auto 1st to 2nd, auto downshift, etc.). The Pathfinder's "Xtronic" semi-manual just limits your upshift. In other words, when in the manual 3rd gear setting, the transmission still shifts automatically – it just doesn't go past 3rd gear.

flat6symphony

Postby flat6symphony » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Ahh I see. So basically its the same as what I already have just a bit swifter and more methodical. Not what I'm looking for. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

I drove a manual Mazda3 for years, went to a Mazda6 automatic w/ tiptronic, and now I prefer tiptronic over manual. I don't like to admit that.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:09 am

Ha! I'm with you. My wife's Jetta has Tiptronic, which I also like more than manual – and don't like to admit. It's just so... racetracky.

It's hard to find a modern sports car with a manual clutch anymore. They're all Tiptronic-style paddle shifting. A gear change takes a fraction of a second.

I will say that if I could have gotten the Pathfinder in Diesel with a manual clutch, I would have gone that way in a heartbeat.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”