E-Locker

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

patomwazi

E-Locker

Postby patomwazi » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:26 pm

a question just out of curiosity...if you had a non-off road specd pathy...what are the chances challenges and changes that have to be made or overcome for a lockable rear diff from the offroad xterra or pathy fit and work?

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:49 am

Bump..

RedPathy

Postby RedPathy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:56 pm

patomwazi wrote:Bump..
Offroad Pathfinders didn't come stock with E-lockers, only the xterra/frontier/titans (pro4x, offroad, nismo) equivalents. Now that being said, ARB makes a wonderful airlocking diff that would honestly be cheaper and more durable than the factory nissan equivalent. Also, it would allow for use in any mode - not just 4low.

That being said, the Off Road pathy only came with Ranchos, more skid plates, and Down hill assist control. Believe me, I wish my '05 off road had a factory locker.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:29 am

question is...can the Xterra's e-locker internals be retrofitted on an R51 Pathfinder...mechanicals and electricals....considering they are pretty much the same car albeit different rear suspension layout and body?...

RedPathy

Postby RedPathy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:25 am

patomwazi wrote:question is...can the Xterra's e-locker internals be retrofitted on an R51 Pathfinder...mechanicals and electricals....considering they are pretty much the same car albeit different rear suspension layout and body?...
The problem is, the xterra has a solid rear axle, where as the pathfinder has IRS. It appears as though the shaft length and spline count are different on the xterra, so no it wouldn't be a simple swap. Basically, the only options for locking differentials in the R51 are aftermarket.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:21 am

I would also be concerned about how the E-locker would work with the electronic limited slip of the Pathfinder, even if it could be integrated somehow.

RedPathy

Postby RedPathy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:41 am

smj999smj wrote:I would also be concerned about how the E-locker would work with the electronic limited slip of the Pathfinder, even if it could be integrated somehow.
I would assume it would work as designed. Frontiers and xterra's with the factory rear locker still have the ABLS function. Most likely it just wouldn't engage if the rear wheels are locked together as it is

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:51 am

ARB air lockers are far the best and despite of their price, still the cheapest option for 100% lock.
Although I must admit, that my 2006 Pathy in 4Hi and 4Lo already has so much lock by default, that I quit searching for better option. I am not sure whether it is so good LSD or is it a malfunction, but engaging 4Hi or 4Lo on dry asphalt rear wheels are locked (ABLS is not engaged yet) so tight, that wheels cannot stick to the pavement. For slippery and mudded roads this is more than enough.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”