03 PF Gas Gauge Inaccuracy

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

funcogirl

Postby funcogirl » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 am

I have an 03 PF with 146k miles and the gas gauge has not been working for about 8 mos. It reads 'Full' when I fill up, but then goes wonky. I've been tracking my mileage using the trip odo, and when I'm at the end of my miles, I can have anywhere from 3/4 to 1/3 of a tank left according to the gauge. It very rarely gets all the way down to E when the gas light comes on, but it's empty b/c I put 18+ gallons in it. I know this is a 21-gal tank, but even when my gauge did work, I've never put more than 18 gals in it - just not sure how far I can really go when the light comes on, and don't want to risk finding out.
My mechanic said it's hard to know the exact issue without taking many parts apart, including removing the gas tank, but he said there was a 90% change it was the fuel sending unit/leveler. So I had it all replaced.
That didn't fix the issue. I just ran out of gas with my gauge reading a 1/3 tank. My miles were about right for being on E, but I'd also just put a can of BG44k in the tank, and thought maybe I was finally getting much better mileage with that and the recent repair. Oh well.
So what should I have checked next? I am not a mechanic, so unfortunately have to trust others to tell me what's wrong with my car. I don't want a new car - I love this one and want to drive it until it really dies.
Thanks!

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Have you noticed any other gauges working erratically? I had a gas gauge problem awhile back but, the temperature gauge reading was also all over the place. I also changed the sender and also the gauge on the dash to no avail. If you notice the temperature going up and down along with the fuel level then your problem is likely the Instrument Control Unit. It's a circuit board located inside the speedometer housing. If that is your problem, DO NOT buy a new one. They can be repaired.

funcogirl

Postby funcogirl » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:33 pm

No other gauges acting up, just the fuel gauge. So I'm thinking it is not the gauge cluster...

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:06 pm

The fuel gauge can be replaced separately. Three or four screws. A junkyard cluster or one on ebay can be had for about 100 dollars or less. Nissan will not sell just the gauge separately.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:27 pm

Hooligan wrote:The fuel gauge can be replaced separately. Three or four screws. A junkyard cluster or one on ebay can be had for about 100 dollars or less. Nissan will not sell just the gauge separately.
They sell it separately, it's just really expensive:

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_Pro ... e=248_A001

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:30 pm

That looks like they sell the fuel gauge AND speedometer combo. I don't believe they sell the fuel gauge separately.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:13 pm

Yeah, it comes with whatever gauge comes with it. It's like buy one and get one free! :wink:

funcogirl

Postby funcogirl » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks all! Trying to get something scheduled for that replacement now...

Livemeyer

Postby Livemeyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm having the exact same problem with my 03 PF. I bought it last September and first tank I ran out of gas because it was showing 1/3 full but it was actually empty. Was relieved that this was the problem instead of a major engine failure. Still, taking it to the shop they replaced the fuel level sensor in the tank. That didn't fix it. Looking at replacing the cluster or just the fuel gauge, but thinking is it really worth it if it doesn't fix it? What is the fix with rebuilding the speedo control unit?

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:34 am

If you go to the "motors" section on Ebay and do a search for "instrument cluster" for your vehicle, you will see listings for repair services for clusters.
You will have to remove your unit and send it in for repair. Prices are reasonable. If you are planning to keep the vehicle for awhile it might make sense to buy a used unit, get the original repaired and, have a spare.

neildiamond11790

Postby neildiamond11790 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 pm

How do you get complaints to in hopes that Nissan is forced to recall the issue? So many peopl have the issue.

Please post a follow up of what was done and if it worked.

dtwbcs

Postby dtwbcs » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Can you install an aftermarket fuel gauge underneath the dash?Or remove the gauge from instrument cluster&replace with an aftermarket fuel gauge that will fit the opening?Thinking it might be a lot easier from jegs or someplace similar to install&go-at least I would know how much fuel is in the tank.

Thanks,

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”